Aventon 350 brake pulsing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HKG123

I bought a new Aventon 350 from a local dealer and I love it, but the brakes have pulsed since the day I took delivery. I've complained about it to the dealer and he refuses to fix the problem claiming that all disc brakes pulse. He tried cleaning them but they still pulse. Besides being annoying, I think they are slightly unsafe since I feel like I'm being bumped off balance when stopping. Thoughts?

CXRAndy

Guru
I bought a new Aventon 350 from a local dealer and I love it, but the brakes have pulsed since the day I took delivery. I've complained about it to the dealer and he refuses to fix the problem claiming that all disc brakes pulse. He tried cleaning them but they still pulse. Besides being annoying, I think they are slightly unsafe since I feel like I'm being bumped off balance when stopping. Thoughts?

Is it both or single brake?

Simple checks spin wheel and check rotor doesn't have a bend or wave.

Check there is equal gap on each pad. adjust caliper or pad position to align gaps so pads contact rotor simultaneously.

I see they are mechanical brakes not hydraulic.

A badly warped rotor might cause pulsing, but ive ridden bikes with misalignment brakes and they rarely pulse- maybe sound a bit odd but not pulsing.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It can only be the rotor or the pads, which might have been contaminated. It's unusual if both brakes do it. As suggested check them for run out and get in real close and check the pads are griping simultaneously. If oil has got onto the pads you'll have to replace them but rotors can be cleaned.
Worse case scenario you could change them out with better quality callipers, shouldn't be too expensive. Budget bikes don't have the best brakes.

OP
OP
H

HKG123

Is it both or single brake?

Simple checks spin wheel and check rotor doesn't have a bend or wave.

Check there is equal gap on each pad. adjust caliper or pad position to align gaps so pads contact rotor simultaneously.

I see they are mechanical brakes not hydraulic.

A badly warped rotor might cause pulsing, but ive ridden bikes with misalignment brakes and they rarely pulse- maybe sound a bit odd but not pulsing.
It's just the back brake that's pulsing. I've looked for warp and don't see any. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
H

HKG123

It can only be the rotor or the pads, which might have been contaminated. It's unusual if both brakes do it. As suggested check them for run out and get in real close and check the pads are griping simultaneously. If oil has got onto the pads you'll have to replace them but rotors can be cleaned.
Worse case scenario you could change them out with better quality callipers, shouldn't be too expensive. Budget bikes don't have the best brakes.
Thanks. I might swap the callipers for better ones, as you suggest. Don't mind paying a bit for a smooth stop.

Top Bottom