Avid Juicy Disc Questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark999

Veteran
The first of many silly questions!

1) When I remove a wheel, is the little red plastic 'key' type thing that came with my bike, for placing between the brakes so they do not close together?

2) How do I tighten (firm up) the brake levers so that they do not need pulled as far?

Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes...

Thank you folks

Mark

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Answer to question 1 ... yes - it is to stop either your son pulling them on and telling you they don't work or you forgetting yourself and pulling on the lever and then lots of swearing ensuing :whistle: - I've had lots of practise at not using the red thing and if you are like me I highly recommend that you do.

No idea about 2 - sorry :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

Mark999

Veteran
Answer to question 1 ... yes - it is to stop either your son pulling them on and telling you they don't work or you forgetting yourself and pulling on the lever and then lots of swearing ensuing :whistle: - I've had lots of practise at not using the red thing and if you are like me I highly recommend that you do.

No idea about 2 - sorry :biggrin:

Thanks - one out of two ain't bad
thumbsup.png

Oh, I have a son?! That sounds like something I should have known about ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well in that case if the lever gets pulled you will only have yourself to blame!!! At least I can blame someone else :smile:

subaqua

What’s the point
aaah so thast what the red thing in the bag with rock shox stickers in it is !! i just never pull the levers and keep the youngest monster away from the bike when the wheel is off.

i had an expensive incident with car brakes many tears ago and learnt a valuable lesson.

Avid Juicy's are a bit softer at the lever than many hydro disks. A good bleed with levers absolutely horizontal so the air can be pushed out of the master cylinder on the lever can get them temporarily a bit firmer, but they are never going to be the on\off switches that some brakes are.

They did stop the bike just as well as my Auriga's but had a more squeezy feel, so personally I liked them.

potsy

Rambler
aaah so thast what the red thing in the bag with rock shox stickers in it is !! i just never pull the levers and keep the youngest monster away from the bike when the wheel is off.

i had an expensive incident with car brakes many tears ago and learnt a valuable lesson.

I realise it was upsetting subaqua, but there's no need to cry about it
wink.gif

OP
OP
M

Mark999

Veteran
Avid Juicy's are a bit softer at the lever than many hydro disks. A good bleed with levers absolutely horizontal so the air can be pushed out of the master cylinder on the lever can get them temporarily a bit firmer, but they are never going to be the on\off switches that some brakes are.

They did stop the bike just as well as my Auriga's but had a more squeezy feel, so personally I liked them.

Ah, great to know. Thanks. I'll leave them as they are. Just thought they 'needed' firmed up, but I stand corrected.

Bleeding the breaks - I am aware they need it now and again, but I have not done it yet (only 6mths old now). I'll go away to try to find an article on this. Interesting indeed, thanks.

Is there any symptom that indicates the breaks need bleeding? PResumably, the same principle as bleeding car break fluid now and again? The fluid just needs refreshed and replenished? Not even sure what type of fluid it is.. I need to find that out first I guess!

Cheers

Top Bottom