Avon So Soft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
OK in a moment of madness we decided to go to the Outer Hebrides in August. I rode there last June and loved it.

There were no midges in June but I guess August will be very different. I've read Avon So Soft is very effective against midges - true or false? Do we buy the oil, cream, lotion or what? Seems to be a huge choice.

Mrs S does Avon, she get's lots of orders for this during the summer, people tend to order the Dry Oil Body Spray product, item number 04424 is Soft & Sensual, HERE, and item number 06700 is Soft & Fresh, HERE :thumbsup:

J-Lo

When I lived in Scotland (midgey land!!!) everyone recommended the Avon So soft dry body oil woodland fresh (thats the important bit so im told!) - give it a go!

fimm

Veteran
A hillwalking friend of mine put skin-so-soft on one arm and "jungle juice" (or something like that) on the other. He reckoned both were about equally effective. So he uses skin-so-soft as it doesn't have nasty chemicals in it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Perhaps you just got a leaky bottle, Mrs S has had no complaints about this over the last few years.

It was a press button bottle so it's possible that there is a solid screw-top version that I missed. It was a little hard to keep it secure in a pannier but it's lack of efficacy was my main complaint.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have used Skin So Soft ever since I discovered it six years ago in a camp site shop in Tyndrum when doing a LEJOG. I had been advised to buy the stuff by others on uk.rec.cycling (anyone ever use that usenet forum?) and thought I was being set up. The Tyndrum camp site owner reassured me and I bought a bottle of the stuuf. To my surprise, it worked. Midges landed but did not bite. The only places where I was bitten was where I hadn't sprayed - the flesh that became exposed when my cycle shirt pulled out of my shorts when I bent over and behind my knees.

I've subsequently used it on a JOGLE and for the past four years at the Knockengorroch festival. It's only shortcoming is that the contents solidify at moderately low temperatures e.g. 3-4 degrees which makes an early morning spray difficult until the bottle has been warmed up.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Well I never!!
I've used that Avon stuf for years, it works well for #2's exzema too, i've never had any probs with midges & mosquitos biting me - I now live right by a lake & have big trees allround my garden, in an eve the sky round the leaf line is thick with the buzzy little buggers...
#1 is guilty of leaving his windows open & the light on when he falls alseep - he gets bitten alive..Maybe i'll add an extra bottle to my order next month!

Top Bottom