B*!!@##!!!!!!!!!!! tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twanger

Über Member
The Specialized "all conditions" tyres I have on my 2 month old Sirrus elite are pretty well in shreds now. Obviously, "all conditions" do not include London roads.

Well, I have a large glass gash in the front and a myriad cuts in the back.

I need to replace them. What with?

Thanks!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Schwalbe are the dog's nads!

Twanger said:
The Specialized "all conditions" tyres I have on my 2 month old Sirrus elite are pretty well in shreds now. Obviously, "all conditions" do not include London roads.

Well, I have a large glass gash in the front and a myriad cuts in the back.

I need to replace them. What with?

Thanks!

Sorry but what tyre do you think will be suitable to protect against glass cuts, come one lets be serious glass is glass and it cuts, no tyre period will survive without some damage if you ride over glass, thats just life and cycling.

The same could be said about the regular cuts in the rear, our roads are not swept ahead of us and so there will be glass, flint and other general crap which we all ride on, the tyres you have are just about the best available for long life and durability as well as great if not the best puncture protection out there, though they do lose out on feel and grip.

Yiu decide what you want from a tyre, tell us and we'll recommend something but please don't expect a tyre to roll out for however many miles you do and not get some damage, unless you just want to ride on rollers.

Sorry for being blunt but its about time some remember what we are doing and where we do it, cuts, gashes, punctures etc are a fact of life

Tynan

Veteran
yep, London roads eat tyres, although tyre resistance to cuts especially vary greatly

I moan about Ultra gators and GP4000 which both cut up very fast for me, A Blizzard too last no more than a month for me, I use Luganos now, they wear better than all of the above and they're cheap which makes replacing them easier

And all the usual really, stay away from the gutter, ride in the tyre tracks, keep them pumped well up

house_trained

Gotta say I've got Specialized All condition Armadillo tyres and as far as puncture resistance goes, they're the best I've had. All london riding and about 4000 miles of it. Like other posters have said, a big bit of glass or flint (and god knows there's enough of it all around) will slice through pretty much anything. Might just be bad luck.

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
Just hyperbole from annoyance. My tyres are bog standard all conditions. No armadillos, no plus, no sport.

Turned out that the problem was a buggered valve so I changed the inner tube. It just so happened that when I checked the tyre when I got to work, there was a shard in it. I took it out. I had assumed the shard had caused the flat. It hadn't

Sorry.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
they've done the Babe proud (you saw them), but we're pretty fortunate in our routes. Conti Top Touring can go for years in London without puncturing.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
just a train of thought but... if your constantly getting shredded tyres and there is no real way to prevent it why not just go for cheap tyres and expect to have to change them regularly ??? there are loads of usable tyres for £10 each

PS: although £10 every 2 months is still a bit much, i guess

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Keep out of the gutter and get some Conti GatorSkins...

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
The problem(s) with keeping out of the gutter is (are):

1. Sometimes the gutter is all there is.
2. Somehow, all sorts of glass gets spread all over the road in central London. Particularly, smashed headlights and tail lights seem to get spread right across the road.

Tynan said:
yep, London roads eat tyres, although tyre resistance to cuts especially vary greatly

And all the usual really, stay away from the gutter, ride in the tyre tracks, keep them pumped well up

I ride how I ride and have no probs.(touchwood):biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
Can't get a P*nct*r3 on the rear tyre,that must cut the odds down by 75%.;)

ern yeah, that's the solid tyre?

you're welcome to that, if someone doesn't use M+ because they're heavy and slow they're hardly going to go solid are they

Top Bottom