Back Ache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G_MAN

I've just came back from my first real 'big' ride on the new bike, a 35 mile practice run before The Great North Bike Ride at the weekend, however, my back began to ache after about 15 miles. It wasn't painful just a bit uncomfortable causing me to have to stand up on the pedal every now and again to stretch off. Is this common when adjusting to the riding position on a road bike or could this mean a problem with the sizing of my bike?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
G_MAN said:
I've just came back from my first real 'big' ride on the new bike, a 35 mile practice run before The Great North Bike Ride at the weekend, however, my back began to ache after about 15 miles...... Is this common when adjusting to the riding position on a road bike or could this mean a problem with the sizing of my bike?
The cheaper option is the "adjusting" one ;)
When I first started on a road/racing bike (ancient), it took me a few weeks to attempt 35 miles ;). A lot of that was becoming accustomed, both physically and mentally, to the flatter position. So I would say, that, Yes, it is probably more of an adjusting thing.
There are lots of sizing/adjusting sites like this or this - which are probably a bit late now you have your speedy pride and joy !

walker

sounds like the bike might be either small or too big, you might possibly need a new stem to change your reach on the bike.

is this the first time riding for a while?

OP
OP
G

G_MAN

to be honest i've only had the bike for a few weeks and only really started using it daily over the past week or so. prior to that i hadn't used a bike for a few years.

is it possible to raise the handlebars slightly?

gavintc

Guru
There are a couple of answers to this. Firstly, your back muscles will need development before they are happy with the lower position. Time and training will allow this. You may not have this priviledge in the time available. I find that when my back starts to tweak, stretching the back while on the bike helps as does forcing my heel down while in the saddle - effectively overextending the leg.

But, you may be able to raise the handlebars. Firstly, the stem (the straight bit between the forks and the bars) can be inverted to provide a small increase. They will work equally well upside down.

In addition, there are often spacers on your steerer tube. These can be placed above or below the stem. Moving the spacers from above the stem to below it will increase the height of your stem.

However, take care when tightening up your stem and top bolt. When tightening up the bolts after moving the stem, you should tighten the top bolt (the one that goes down the middle of the steerer) before the stem bolts. In addition, be careful that you do not overtighten it as you this affects the steering of the bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Takes time for your back to get used to a road bike, and even experienced cyclists, if they have had a lay off, will suffer a bit at first - I know I did a couple of years ago - started upping the mileage, and my back would hurt (had the bikes years - no position changes). Started to get better the more I did, and now can ride for hours without any discomfort.

As mentioned, you may wish to raise the bars for a while until you get used to it !

Top Bottom