Back Pack - Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert b 2

Hi,

I don't use racks or panniers. I use a back pack to carry my lunch, keys, phone, wallet, puncture repair kit, D Lock (because the bracket broke and I don't mind having it on my back), pump, and sometimes clothes and a small item of shopping.

However, the bag I have is totally unfit for purpose. Not a proper cycling or walking bag, just a crappy thing that is not padded or even rain proof.

I want a proper back pack, big enough to carry the above items, but also well padded, with a rain proof cover (ideally fluorescent in colour), with loads of reflectors and ideally fluorescnet or otherwise bright colouring. A flashing light would be nice as well. I want to pay around £50. Not bothered about brand names, just want a decent quality, practical back pack for my commute.

Any ideas? I've googled, but there is a lack of decent descriptions for me to decide. Perhaps people know of a bag that fits my requirements...

Thanks

lukesdad

Ive had a vango for a couple of years. Cant fault it.Nice touches sealed zips The air blast system across your back works a treat. compartment and fittings to take a bladder system. Use it for exactly same purpose you are looking to do. Cost me £25.

redjedi

Über Member
I've got one of these

Vaude Hyper Air 14+3

Not the biggest bag but I can get a couple of pairs of trouser, t-shirts, socks and undies plus some bananas in it on a monday. The rest of the week it's almost empty.

Mesh to raise the bag off you back, rain cover, hydration bag tube hole, good adjustment, and I got mine for £35

Redvers

I can recommend the Deuter Speedlite range of packs.

If I remember rightly there’s a 10, 15, 20 and 30 Ltr version.

I‘ve got the 10 and the 20 Ltr and found them to be well designed and made and remarkably light ( when empty :biggrin: )

OP
OP
R

robert b 2

Thanks for this guys. I will have a careful look through the recommendations and make a choice. Will let you know what my choice is in due course and offer thoughts. These all sound like good suggestions though.

:smile:

Funnily enough, I was battered by rain and wind on the way home, and I was hoping there would be some replies on here. My current bag was limp like a wet lettuce by the time I got back!

One of these for me, great product although a little expensive. I certainly didnt pay this much, but cant remember where I got mine.

http://www.jdcycles.co.uk/accessories/hydration/camelbak-octane-14-3ltr

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Cammelback HOSS just over £100, but i think it's worth it. fully waterproof and good ventilation system for your back. i only use the bladder on long rides.

Will1985

Über Member
I have a Vaude Roomy 12+3. It is sold as a women's bag, but it felt a lot more comfortable in the shop when compared to the equivalent male design (?Cluster). It serves my needs 90% of the time, while there are a few occasions where an extra 5 litres wouldn't go amiss. I'd echo everything of what redjedi says.

RSV_Ecosse

Been using one of these on my commute for the past year. Edinburgh bike Co-op Revolution Stow-Light :-

b7xagh.jpg

Can't praise it highly enough. Really well put together ( Vaude make them for Edinburgh BC ) , surprising how much you can get in them too. Comes with an elasticated hi-vis yellow rain cover that clips on to it. It's also Camelback compatible.

Link :-

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...5&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003119c003128

Garz

Squat Member
I can highly recommend the karrimor as its small enough to not be cumbersome and very well made/padded for comfort. I used it on a twenty mile meetup with another rider where we then drove to another long ride around the lakes. Cycled home from train station afterwards and with milletts shutting sales on at the time picked it up for a bargain!

l4dva

Guru
http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/Packs_&_...ge/Packs/Active_Packs/40322/Nucleon_Pack.html

This I know its quite expensive on the web site but i went into the store in westfields/london and picked it up for £35, I really don't understand the logistics of that shop, all i had to do was sign up for a free membership card by giving just a email address, for £35 its brilliant! I use it on my commutes to work, it has a section for a hydration bladder if u want to use that aswell, but i just use that space for extra storage, its very comfortable and light (when empty of course). the padding on the back is really good although u cant see in the pic, and the hip belt with pockets is really handy too for small things like tools phones keys, and u can actually remove the hip belt if u didn't want to use it as well. its fairly waterproof ive used it in rain and not really had a problem (altough when i know its going to be really heavy rain i use a waterproof cover just in case). It has straps for helmet too and 20liters so its a decent size as wel.

As good as it is, I dont think its worth paying more than £35 for it though

Top Bottom