Back Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bucksgill

Today I went out for only my fourth ride and when down on the drops constantly for about 4 miles at a time I was getting a really really painful lower back; so much so I had to stop and stand up for a minute to get the pain to subside. I don't notice it when it's stop start riding.

Is this normal and my body will just get used to the position, or is there something I should be doing? I did raise my saddle a little which improved my ride considerably other than the back pain so I don't know if changing that was wrong. It's set so that my leg is almost locked when the pedal is at its lowest point.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I sometimes get the lower back issue, especially when putting a lot of power down in the seated position (also on long car drives). It's to do with lack of core strength and your muscles being un-used to the extended position (when seated in the saddle your back muscles are effectively longer and elongated and are not used to doing the work in that position). I'm told doing core strength exercises will help and making sure you stretch out your back before a long ride can really help (it does with me). When I find it's getting bad, on a climb, I usually do a spell out of the saddle then ride a short spell hands free upright (once on the flat again...if conditions permit) just to take the pressure off, which usually does the trick.

If its only your fourth ride I'd expect it'd subside as your muscles toughen up but keep an eye on it, it might be something that is as simple as changing set up and it'd be stupid to do some longer term damage for the sake of something simple. Also do you need to be in the drops constantly for four miles, just sitting up (using the hoods) sporadically may ease things. A good guide to getting your saddle height right is heel on the pedal, with your heel on the pedal your leg should be near straight. Its only a guide however :thumbsup: .

OP
OP
bucksgill

bucksgill

I'm going to start stretching, should have really been doing it anyway but even more of a reason now. So thank you for that advice, I'll also search for back strengthening exercises because I don't have great posture at the best of times which can't be helping.

I guess I don't need to be on the drops for that long, but on a long uninterrupted cycle path it seems to help me get into my rhythm. But at this point in my cycling career its not really necessary so I'm going to try mixing it up.

Great advice so far :smile: if anyone else has any more it'd be great to hear/read it.

Rob500

I did raise my saddle a little which improved my ride considerably other than the back pain so I don't know if changing that was wrong. It's set so that my leg is almost locked when the pedal is at its lowest point.

I think this could be the cause. Your saddle could be just a little too high causing over stretching which will hurt your lower back.

Rob500

BG - if the saddle height is right for your legs, try moving it forward slightly to suit your torso/reach. (I think)

OP
OP
bucksgill

bucksgill

I just went for another 14 or so mile ride (evening riding is so nice!), tried to take what you suggested into account. Lowered the seat a little, stretched and moved around on the bars more. I still got some pain but no were near as much as before. When it did arise I switched position or stood up for a bit and it made it go away. Next thing I will try is moving the saddle a little forward in case I am over stretching but at the moment I can't get the bolt to turn! :laugh: Hopefully my back will just get used to the position anyway :smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Your leg should be still slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Now and then sit up or even stand on the pedals and stretch your back and legs .I had similar pain withj a new roadbike a few years ago, now no pain at all even after 12 hour rides.

OP
OP
bucksgill

bucksgill

Your leg should be still slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Now and then sit up or even stand on the pedals and stretch your back and legs .I had similar pain withj a new roadbike a few years ago, now no pain at all even after 12 hour rides.

Oh good, something I will have to stick with then. Not going to let it stop what has been a great first 5 days cycling :smile:

Cheers to all who have had an input :thumbsup:

swampyseifer

Next thing I will try is moving the saddle a little forward in case I am over stretching but at the moment I can't get the bolt to turn!

Yeah I had that problem, managed to get the bolt to turn in the end but it went suddenly and it meant I lost all sense of where the saddle was seated previously...which made it impossible to then make a small adjustment on the original position, so I had to start over from scratch

Top Bottom