Back-pedalling, Freehub help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

Thanks for everyone's help with my back-pedalling problem. There were two issues. I hadn't lubed the whole cassette (that's the cogs isn't it?) and freehub area after blasting it with de-greaser. It had seized. I just drenched it in lube and it worked. Anyway, there is another problem; the freehub protector has somehow dislodged itself from the correct position and is rubbing against the cogs in free-wheel. The long and short of it is that I need to dismantle the cassette to re-adjust the protector. Is this easy? Anyone got a good link?

Many thanks all...

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Okay lads, I found something. Cheers

RedBike

There were two issues. I hadn't lubed the whole cassette (that's the cogs isn't it?) and freehub area after blasting it with de-greaser. It had seized.

I'm not sure what sort of freehub you have but they're normally a sealed unit. Spraying a bit of degreaser (or lube) onto the cassette shouldn't have any effect on it. If it has you've probably knackered your hub as well.

Freehub protector? Do you mean spoke protector?

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

RedBike said:
I'm not sure what sort of freehub you have but they're normally a sealed unit. Spraying a bit of degreaser (or lube) onto the cassette shouldn't have any effect on it. If it has you've probably knackered your hub as well.

Freehub protector? Do you mean spoke protector?

Actually it's not the freehub but the cassette that was seized up, I think. A few months ago I degreased it to buggery but didn't lube up afterwards. It is fine now after I lubed it today. The protector is a problem. I guess it is the spoke protector I'm talking about; the plastic disc between the cogs (cassette?) and the spokes? I know some people remove them but I'm wary of doing that. What do you think?

Funtboy said:
Thanks for everyone's help with my back-pedalling problem. There were two issues. I hadn't lubed the whole cassette (that's the cogs isn't it?) and freehub area after blasting it with de-greaser. It had seized. I just drenched it in lube and it worked. Anyway, there is another problem; the freehub protector has somehow dislodged itself from the correct position and is rubbing against the cogs in free-wheel. The long and short of it is that I need to dismantle the cassette to re-adjust the protector. Is this easy? Anyone got a good link?

Many thanks all...

It's so good I'll give it again :wacko:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp
(I did suggest that you saved it) you could/should also look at
http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
Sheldon Brown (RIP) has helped more cyclists than possibly anyone else on this planet (in my opinion).

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Top Bottom