Backpack recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Some bugger swiped my battered old Karrimor rucksack last night so may as well replace it with a bit more fit for purpose on the commute.

(as usual with these things it's not worth much, had nothing of any practial use or value inside for anyone nicking it, but plenty to cause hassle and inconvience for myself).

Anyhow I'm looking for something moderately large, 20-30L maybe, ideally with hi-viz and reflective trim, and possibly waterproof. I'm not a fan of lots of pockets and zips so one single compartment for smallbits and pieces like money, mp3 player, etc is plenty. Any suggestions?

e-rider

crappy member
Deuter Trans Alpine 30L is THE bag to get - unbeatable!

Follow the link:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Deuter_Trans_Alpine_30_Rucksack_2008/5360028688/

Fiona N

Veteran
http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/rucksacks/daysacks-under-35-ltrs/omm-mm32-litre-sack.html

This is the newest version of the original KIMM sac - really designed for running mountain marathons but equally good for cycling. It's very light, has one main compartment and various outside mesh pockets which lie flat when empty. There are 2 small zippered compartments on the waist belt which I find excellent for keys (internal hook for security), tissues etc. and a good sized top mesh pocket. They don't have a stiffened back - runners use their karrimats in the slim internal pocket down the back for padding. I cut a single layer of mat and find this more than adequate. The back pocket is actually for a camelbak or similar bladder and there are suitable holes provided for the tube, as well as clips and elastics to keep it in place.

I've worn out 3 over the last maybe twenty years, but they get a lot of abuse with on average 5 years of fellwalking/climbing/summer mountaineering before the need to buy a new one means the current one is relegated to biking (where they get muddier more often, thus the colours fade quicker - previous incarnations have been dayglo green, yellow, pale blue and I'm currently on black). I actually made a raincoat (pertex with an elasticated drawcord) to keep the worst of the mud off when mountain biking and it's good for keeping the newspaper dry on the shopping runs too.

Another really useful thing is that because they pack completely flat and take up almost no room, I can pop one in the suitcase on business trips and get in a couple of days in the hills or out on a rental mtb when I'm away for more than a week. In fact, this reminds me that the black one was purchased in Tokyo a couple of summers back so I could take a day off to climb Mt Fiji B):biggrin::biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I would recommend a Karrimor Airspace series. I have the 25l, one big compartment, plus a couple of pockets, one big enough for wallet etc, and one big enough for pump, patch kit and tools. It also has reflective logos and an integrated raincover with a big reflective logo on it. It is designed to touch only at the small of the back and the shoulders, so doesn't leave a big sweaty patch, and has a compartment and routing for a hydro-bladder.
You can find them for about £30 to £40 online.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Jeez thanks all, not sure it's helped much as it's opened up some possibilities I didn't think of to muddy the water. Inclined atm to go with the Deuter Trans Alpine, although the KIMM sack option of flatpacking would be handy and see some use. Those dayglo sacks are cheap enough to consider just buying 1 for the hell of it to try around town.

Niall McL

I've got an Inov-8 bag. Wiggle have a decent range of them. Fairly reflective and very waterproof.

RSV_Ecosse

Have a look at the Revolution Stow range from Edinburgh Bike Co-op.

The Stow range from Edin Bike Co-op come with a hi-vis raincover in a wee pocket on the bottom of the rucksack.

The rucksacks are actually made for Edinburgh Bike Co-op by Vaude and are excellent quality. They have an "aero-flex" back system which keeps the rucksack off your back allowing air to circulate behind it to ventilate.

I have the "Stow-Lite" and after using it for about 5-6 months, it's easy and understandable to see why they get such good write-ups and reviews. Quality bits of kit. ;)

jimboalee

This thread could open a 'can of worms'.

Die-hards will tell you to get a 'quick release' panniers.

Their argument will be based on many factors which include weight on the spine, balance, the inertia of the backpack if you take a tumble and vunerability of the rucksack's contents if you do fall and land ON IT. Also vunerability of your spine if you land ON IT awkwardly.

I use a backpack. I also use my backpockets.

Think about how much the backpack will hurt you if you tumble and land on it :sad:

Will1985

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Think about how much the backpack will hurt you if you tumble and land on it :biggrin:
Surprisingly little, even with 2 heavy D-locks in!
I think the key is in the fit of the backpack. My first tumble was with a standard JanSport which went flying over my head (books and D-locks); the second just had the D-locks but was a Vaude cycling bag which hugs the back and provided a nice padding, probably saving my jacket from being shredded.

Top Bottom