Bad speelers of t wurld untie

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...hpzgrMdAanSgXsJIImShRlqsQQpFk7DiC4Dmy6ZXsYSU4

University tutors are being told not to dock marks for spelling mistakes because requiring good English could be seen as “homogenous north European, white, male, elite”.

Several universities are adopting “inclusive assessments” as part of an effort to narrow the attainment gap between white and black, Asian and minority ethnic students and to reduce higher dropout rates among those from poorer backgrounds.
Ummm. Where to start with this one?

I get that they're talking about the Arts courses, not real degrees, but even so. Aren't Universities seats of learning any more? Is Education a bad word there?

Really exposes how universities have become businesses before anything else. They have to attract customers and can't afford to scare any away by having standards. It's all about fleecing kids, saddling them with debt and giving them worthless scraps of paper in return.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I see laziness cropping up in our language. Texting is primarily responsible for it with things like, 'Meet U B4 lunch' etc , which is just people not being arsed to spend a few more seconds (literally) typing out 'Meet you before lunch'. Language should not have anything to do with 'white elite'. It has standards like science.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I hate texts and predictive text and keyboards- I never make errors when I write things by hand- it's all this tehcnolihy's fault... and don't get me started on that "Grammerly" app.

spen666

Guru
I should be belatedly awarded a first class degree, and a masters and a phd - even though I got 0% in all my exams from age of 5 at school.
It was only because of my spelling. I mean when I said for example Germany defeated the allies in the 2nd world war -its obviously only a spelling mistake and I shouldn't have been marked down

or when in the science exam I wrote "I haven't got a clue" - again it was only a spelling mistake and I was actually quoting and applying the works of Einstein correctly

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BA English........

Dat Shekespear bloky waz a gr8 geeza !

The odd spelling mistake fine, but you do know everything is generally done on a computer with stuff like 'word' which will help you correct typos and spelling.

Even in Art there is a fair amount of written work looking into artist's styles and describing them etc.

Spelling is probably fairly important to become a Nurse, especially if you are doing Nurse Prescribing courses. :whistle:

MartinQ

Veteran
BA English........

Dat Shekespear bloky waz a gr8 geeza !

The odd spelling mistake fine, but you do know everything is generally done on a computer with stuff like 'word' which will help you correct typos and spelling.

Even in Art there is a fair amount of written work looking into artist's styles and describing them etc.

Spelling is probably fairly important to become a Nurse, especially if you are doing Nurse Prescribing courses. :whistle:
Tbf, Shakey didn't even spell his name consistently
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_Shakespeare's_name
Hence my lifelong hatred of his work. If only hed sorted his grammer out ...

Calling @Pale Rider and his apostrophe campaign.
In London's old print area just south of Fleet street I know a big multi panel history info board which has a howler in it.
It may even have been commissioned by the old newspaper company which used to print there.
May take a pic next time I'm that way. If there late I may hear some subs howling.

byegad

Legendary Member
I hate texts and predictive text and keyboards- I never make errors when I write things by hand- it's all this tehcnolihy's fault... and don't get me started on that "Grammerly" app.
My phone's predictive text edits numbers. I type, say, 141and it 'corrects' it to 241. Why?

Chris S

Legendary Member
A lecturer on the radio said that there were people on her Master's degree course who should have been in a further education college learning basic literacy and numeracy skills.

Degrees from British universities might as well be given away free in cornflake boxes. I've got an MSc in Software Engineering and it was about as difficult as an NVQ III I did while I was trying to find a job.

This bit is clearly a trap:
"
University tutors are being told not to dock marks for spelling mistakes because requiring good English could be seen as “homogenous north European, white, male, elite”.
"

It's bait for Gammon. I'm not falling for that one!
(easy for me to say, of course, being part of the elite ... )

Top Bottom