Bad speelers of t wurld untie

The Crofted Crest

Über Member
I have actually read that book, but many, many, many years ago. If I remember correctly, and the odds on that are evens at best -- I spent more time studying Captain Beefheart than the Vienna School -- it is not concerned with the logic of language but logical positivism, i.e. a statement cannot be true unless it can be verified by observation or logical deduction. This school of thought has been poo-pooed over the years and towards the end of his life Ayers himself said it was "absolute cobblers" (there's a little exercise in logical positivism for you). @Rocky will no doubt be along soon to correct my memory.

Rocky

sacré bleu
I have actually read that book, but many, many, many years ago. If I remember correctly, and the odds on that are evens at best -- I spent more time studying Captain Beefheart than the Vienna School -- it is not concerned with the logic of language but logical positivism, i.e. a statement cannot be true unless it can be verified by observation or logical deduction. This school of thought has been poo-pooed over the years and towards the end of his life Ayers himself said it was "absolute cobblers" (there's a little exercise in logical positivism for you). @Rocky will no doubt be along soon to correct my memory.
And if it can’t be verified, the Vienna school called it nonsense and wouldn’t even discuss it. Wittgenstein realised that language wasn’t subject to this type of analysis and, in his later period, dismissed the logical empiricists’ claims completely.

Once a Wheeler

Too true, Crofted Crest. For my money this was always a far better stab at getting through to the logic of language:
https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...nguistics-Emeritus-Noam-Chomsky/9781614278047
Even so, plenty of people think otherwise… all the best.

The Crofted Crest

Über Member
Too true, Crofted Crest. For my money this was always a far better stab at getting through to the logic of language:
https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...nguistics-Emeritus-Noam-Chomsky/9781614278047
Even so, plenty of people think otherwise… all the best.
Chuffin heck! I've read parts of that. When I spent more time studying The Fall instead of cognitive linguistics we had to use generative grammar to program a clock om the computer and write a little program to remember the highest prices in a bidding war.

Try this one.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
yeah i really don't understand that i mean i have a Samsung phone i know there are people with other brand too but let's not brand shame, but if a write b it already has a lot of suggestions,, usually none of which i really wanted to write if that meet in this example would go ahead but the point is, je don't need to write in numbers to type fast.. that number writing thing always looks the me like you mist your calling and wanted to be a code writer or something. but that just me off course...

But if i would be a black hard working person with an university degree i would find it very offensive that my hard work is downgraded as a white-ist elite thing instead of a accomplishment, reached by working hard, being smart and those kind of things..
Would you like me to do a wee bit of correcting for you?^_^

mistyoptic

Über Member
With regard to the OP, I guess it must be hard, for the tutors, to separate poor spelling from:

lack of attention to detail/dyslexia/using English as a foreign language/can't be *rsed.

Each of those should require a different approach and the tutors probably don't have the time to sift one from another.

Once the students arrive in the real world, it can become more important to their chances to further themselves, and so it should be incumbent on the educator to help their student understand that.

That's the point. You need to learn to look at multiple sources, to learn how to examine the provenance of those sources. It's all very well learning that Henry VIII had 6 wives, one of whom lost her head, but unless you are planning to be a historian it's unlikely to be of huge value to memorise it for a test. Better to set a question that asks the student to find out why Henry had 6 wives and what that meant for the political climate at the time, including references to source data. Get them searching and learning. Not memorising solely so they can vomit it out onto an exam paper on demand to score points.

Two :whistle::tongue:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I see laziness cropping up in our language. Texting is primarily responsible for it with things like, 'Meet U B4 lunch' etc , which is just people not being arsed to spend a few more seconds (literally) typing out 'Meet you before lunch'. Language should not have anything to do with 'white elite'. It has standards like science.
I think I've found a time traveller who thinks the SMS character limit is a thing. Here in the far far future it doesn't happen any more.

Actually, due to the vagaries of matrimonial law over the years, there's an argument to say he only had three, perhaps four 'wives' in the legal sense.:becool:

Top Bottom