Bad wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baldycyclist

Über Member
Has anyone had to walk their bike along the side of the road due to wind?
Tonight I had a head/side wind of 17mph with gusts up to 40mph (according to met office site).
I commute to and from Sunderland 6 miles each way every day. It is quite open to wind.
I had to get off three times as I felt unsafe.
I was averaging about 13 mph into the wind - it was better to go faster but I physically could not get any more streamlined!
I did feel a little like a berk walking along in my lycra pushing my new toy but just found that the gusts were too much too handle.

Anyone got any advice about cycling in the wind?

Balds

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
a. put a sail up
b. cycle the other way

Livefast123

My commute takes me towards the coast and the wind tunnel that is known as the A370. A couple of time recently I have had to dig deep and use every last bit of power against the wind to go forward and stay upright. It's all fun isn't it!!

Mozzy

Same here in the SW BC. Did a few miles this after, and they felt like a hundred miles and hour. Jeez strong or what? I guess a head or a tail is neither here nor there, it is the side wind which must present a problem. Can't think of anything ye can do about it really.

Mozzy

Davidc

Guru
Yes. It's usually when ithe wind's gusty and I feel unsafe and worry about being blown across the road or off.

I was wondering on my ride this evening on the high bits. Wind behind me though on the way back - it was fast. Judging by the speed needed to get still air it was blowing at about 15mph but with some much stronger gusts.

Matthames

Über Member
My commute takes me across very exposed flat as a pancake salt marsh. Fortunately the wind changed direction and picked up whilst I was at work, giving me a nice tailwind for the journey home.

I find that staying close to the hedgerows helps. Also if you can, anticipate whether you are going to be going into the wind or away from it when approaching a corner. That way you can then kick down a few gears to keep the cadence up when you come across a head wind.

Jet propulsion?

Spot on

fart.gif

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Only ever got off once and walked. Was on the Monday about 3 or 4 weeks ago when we had 70mph gusts.

I was riding so slow that it was quicker (and safer) to walk. Really.

Has anyone had to walk their bike along the side of the road due to wind?
Tonight I had a head/side wind of 17mph with gusts up to 40mph (according to met office site).
I commute to and from Sunderland 6 miles each way every day. It is quite open to wind.
I had to get off three times as I felt unsafe.
I was averaging about 13 mph into the wind - it was better to go faster but I physically could not get any more streamlined!
I did feel a little like a berk walking along in my lycra pushing my new toy but just found that the gusts were too much too handle.

Balds

Best get used to it mate, I commute along the coast between Sunderland and Shields. It's windy all the time!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
[/quote]

It was nice and calm this morning for me, and then Lo! and behold! for the 1st time ever I had an awesome tail wind on the way home. Got home uber fast and barely broke sweat.

Take and hold a wider primary position to try and make drivers give you a wider berth. Slow it down a bit, and yes, if you feel unsafe, get off and push. I very very rarely use cycle paths, but if it's blowing a gale I venture onto them.

OP
OP
baldycyclist

baldycyclist

Über Member
My commute takes me across very exposed flat as a pancake salt marsh. Fortunately the wind changed direction and picked up whilst I was at work, giving me a nice tailwind for the journey home.

I find that staying close to the hedgerows helps. Also if you can, anticipate whether you are going to be going into the wind or away from it when approaching a corner. That way you can then kick down a few gears to keep the cadence up when you come across a head wind.

I have found a little anticipation and higher cadence helps - got a cateye thingy - it tells me around 70 to 80 is when I am comfortable

Top Bottom