Baking disasters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
I decided to make some brandy snaps, followed the recipe correctly, put stuff in the oven, took it out, it looked fine. Thats until I tried to role the mixture into the snap rounds using a wooden spoon. I have just made a mess. Do hope bikepete will like it?

Oh well going to make parkin next, hopefully nothing will go wrong with that. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah, it'll taste fine whatever. If in doubt, let the brandy snap stuff set, smash it up into little bits and serve as a crunchy topping on ice cream, or fold into whipped cream and serve on a biscuit base or something...

Can't go wrong with parkin? You haven't seen some of the drivers round here, can't park to save their lives...

Willow

Gromit said:
I decided to make some brandy snaps, followed the recipe correctly, put stuff in the oven, took it out, it looked fine. Thats until I tried to role the mixture into the snap rounds using a wooden spoon. I have just made a mess. Do hope bikepete will like it?

Oh well going to make parkin next, hopefully nothing will go wrong with that. :biggrin:

you can put the brandy snaps back in the oven to soften and try again. I sympathise though have been there myself, progressed to brandy snap baskets which were easier and then moved on from there and now buy them. The washing up afterwards isn't easy either!

colly

Re member eR
Not exactly baking but last Friday night I managed to make a fish pie which contained as much apple as fish.

Surprisingly it tasted rather better than it had a right to. The texture was off putting though.

Arch said:
Ah, it'll taste fine whatever. If in doubt, let the brandy snap stuff set, smash it up into little bits and serve as a crunchy topping on ice cream, or fold into whipped cream and serve on a biscuit base or something...
Bugger, you beat me to it.

My mum makes a damn fine pud with gingernuts, dunked in coffee and Tia Maria and then layered with whipped cream. I reckon you could adapt that to accomodate some brandy snaps. :girl:

Chuffy said:
My mum makes a damn fine pud with gingernuts, dunked in coffee and Tia Maria and then layered with whipped cream. I reckon you could adapt that to accomodate some brandy snaps. :girl:

We do the gingernuts thing too, but ours are dipped in gin and orange, stacked together and then covered in whipped cream. They're called GINgernuts then.

Working in an industrial bakery my baking disasters are rather more expensive and normally involve a few hundred loaves of bread. I was making mince pies for Christmas though, I left them in the oven too long and they came out like mince shrapnel.

OOOPS!!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I may have mentionned this before :tongue:. If you make a sponge cake and use grease-proof paper circles in the cake tin, please try to remember to take BOTH pieces of paper off BOTH the halves of the cake.

Otherwise, :biggrin: you proceed to put the whipped cream in the middle, and the chocolate all over it, ever so properly, and then the walnuts. However, when you cut into the cake, in front of your guests, you will find that soggy grease-proof paper is, in fact, extremely strong, and cannot be cut very easily. :blush::ohmy:

When you I realised the mistake, it gets very messy to undo the cake and take out the paper on the bottom of the top half of the cake.

colly

Re member eR
Arch said:
It's no good, I have to ask.

How the F...?
:wacko:

Well it really was an easy mistake to make.
No REALLY it was…………….Listen I am telling you it WAS.

So in the freezer we had some white fish in plastic bags. Also in the freezer there were some marinated salmon pieces which had been left over from a few weeks ago. The salmon was already cut into rough chunks. You know what the colour of salmon is don’t you? Sort of pinky, and this having been marinated it had a kind of brownish hue.
WELL…unbeknownst to me also in the freezer were a few bags of chopped apples…….which has …..yes, a brownish hue.

Easy mistake to make I tell you easy.

buggi

Bird Saviour
amongst some of my many disasters in cookery lessons at school, was the hard ball of cake mixture in my bowl rather than sloppy cake mixture. it took the teacher about two pints of water to get the mixture back to a sloppy consistency. i swear i dunno what happened. needless to say when it came to choosing my options i was forced to take engineering drawing rather than home economics. which it turned out i was rather good at. and i've never been good at cooking since.

Kirstie said:
We do the gingernuts thing too, but ours are dipped in gin and orange, stacked together and then covered in whipped cream. They're called GINgernuts then.

This is all 'taking shape' now Kirstie...the whipped cream, ginger nuts and the vociferous anti-neighbour 'device' you have...:biggrin:

I oven got any baking disaster stories, even though I'm a regulo contributor...;)

Top Bottom