Bar ends for Trek Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I would like to fit some bar ends to my trek 7.3fx.

It has some fancy grips which i find uncomfortable after a few miles. The LBS told me the grips cant be removed as they are constructed as part of the handlebar. His only solution was to buy a new handle bar, grips and bar ends, which seems an expensive solution.

Has anyone else solved this issue?

chugsy

Sounds like someone's pulling a fast one - how did the brake lever / gear shifters go on if the grips can't be removed for instance?

Grips should pull right off (with a little lubrication) or might be secured with a bolt, as is everything else - it would be a simply case of moving levers and shifters inwards to make room for a pair of bar ends. Have a go yourself, it's not hard -in fact....

http://bicycletutor.com/handlebar-grips/

Alan Whicker

The Bonty grips on my 2010 7.3FX used to remove themselves! I've replaced them with lock-on grips. I tried full size bar ends, but I didn't get on with them - they somehow seemed to make the bike top-heavy and more prone to falling over when on its stand. Ergo-grips with stubby bar ends would probably be better, but i'm too much of a miser to buy them
icon_razz.gif

bauldbairn

I think that your LBS is correct - depending on how old your 7.3 is.
The new FX' do have a funny bar http://bontrager.com...andlebar_system

Judging by the way the elastomer forms half of the horizontal tubing, changing grips would be fine, but I certainly wouldn't want to tighten an Alu\steel bar end onto something that is essentially half plastic.

+ 1, if that's the type of bars fitted.

Did you forget your involvement in this thread below? ;)

https://www.cyclechat.net/

It all depends on how much you want to spend on comfort - you can get a good set of non-comp Alu bars starting at approx £20 from CRC(chainreactioncycles) and punt your old ones on e-bay or on here(probably worth more than £20)!!!! Then buy whatever bar-ends take your fancy! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Did you forget your involvement in this thread below? ;)

Yes that was an interesting thread, I'm all for people asking quetsions this is what the forums are for. To his credit the guy apologised and all was forgiven

It looks like a new bar is required as mine is half steel - half plastic under the grips.

bauldbairn

Yes that was an interesting thread, I'm all for people asking quetsions this is what the forums are for. To his credit the guy apologised and all was forgiven.

Aye I agree!

I was more pointing at the relevant(if there was any) bar-end info?? ;)

So you're gonna have to get new bars then - it's not the end of the world. Like I said - someone will always want your old ones(if you want/need to sell). There are plenty of replacement bars to choose from - if that's what you decide to do.

mikeIow

Guru
(sorry to resurrect an old thread!)
Anyone fitted the specific bar ends for these weird Trek bars (see http://store.trekbikes.com/product/bontrager satellite plus isozone bar end adapter.do# ) ? Got my C2W bike due to arrive soon and have ordered some of these to fit.....I'm hoping they come with destructions on how to remove the "dial in" end !! If it looks rticky I guess I may need to head to LBS for a hand ;-)

Bigad

Regular
Just bought a 2013 5.3. I used the Trek approved (or maybe Bontrager) adapters, and was able to fit my old cow-horn bar-ends easily. They give me three different positions. I found the Trek grips difficult first time out, as there is no grip once you sweat onto them, even a little bit. However, with my usual padded gloves, they're fine. I think the adaptors didn't cost much at all and my LBS were really helpful about it.
By the way, thought that the Bontrager saddle would kill me, so my old B17 is now onboard. Mmmm.

mikeIow

Guru
Funny ending to this one.....picked up the bike at Evans cycles, had the adapter kit to be installed....but Trek shipped the bike with a "plain" flat bar, not the Isozone ones specified! Cheeky b*ggers!!
So Trek had to send out the right ones.....all now installed (but less than happy purchase experience with Evans....) & bike all good!
(well, plastic pedals a bit rubbish, but easily sorted!)

Cyclist33

Marketing meeting at Trek: "Oooh, I know how we can made shed loads of money. Convince everyone that normal handlebars are unsafe or uncomfortable, then sell them a proprietary solution at an overinflated price"

mikeIow

Guru
Mmmm....although if those bars *are* good and absorb vibration, I'm fine with that: provided they *ship* the darned things after promising them!!

Accounting meeting at Trek: "Oooh, I know how we can save money...,,swap out those nice funky bars we promised for some cheap flat ones....save us a fortune".

akb

Veteran
Just to add, I added some bar ends to my Trek T10 hybrid. Left the original grips on, cut away the end of the grips with a Stanley enough for the bar ends to fit, and fitted the bar ends.

samthesham

Just bought a 2013 5.3. I used the Trek approved (or maybe Bontrager) adapters, and was able to fit my old cow-horn bar-ends easily. They give me three different positions. I found the Trek grips difficult first time out, as there is no grip once you sweat onto them, even a little bit. However, with my usual padded gloves, they're fine. I think the adaptors didn't cost much at all and my LBS were really helpful about it.
By the way, thought that the Bontrager saddle would kill me, so my old B17 is now onboard. Mmmm.
Just purchased said adapter for my Trek 7.3fx, however once fitted to my handlebars, i am unable to attach my stubbies as the adapter is eliptical and end bars circular!!! What have i done wrong (any pics would be nice)?.

Top Bottom