Bar ends question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Grips can normally be slid across if need be. I'm sorting out some flat bars with bar ends at the moment. My current plan is to have ergon style grips, the ones with the wider bit for the heel of your hand, slide them on further and have the bar ends after them. I find this adds an extra position for comfort and I really like being able to rest the pad of my hand.

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

MacBludgeon said:
Grips can normally be slid across if need be. I'm sorting out some flat bars with bar ends at the moment. My current plan is to have ergon style grips, the ones with the wider bit for the heel of your hand, slide them on further and have the bar ends after them. I find this adds an extra position for comfort and I really like being able to rest the pad of my hand.

cheers but on my bike (GIANT MTB) the grips (which are the standard ones) are the sort which just slide over the handle bars and are sealed at one end - how do I work bar ends with these grips:wacko:

mr Mag00

rising member
cut the end of the bar grip off to enable it to slide further across the handlebar. use hairspray to loosen the grip and to reseat the grip works a s a great glue for these. do not use bar ends on riser bars they are not designed for bar ends.

tyred

Legendary Member
Toby_2009 said:
cheers but on my bike (GIANT MTB) the grips (which are the standard ones) are the sort which just slide over the handle bars and are sealed at one end - how do I work bar ends with these grips:wacko:

You'll need to cut the ends off. I'm sure you will be able to buy push in bar ends to seal the end of the handlebar from your LBS. This isn't just cosmetic. Consider what an open metal pipe could do to someone in an accident.

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

mr Mag00 said:
cut the end of the bar grip off to enable it to slide further across the handlebar. use hairspray to loosen the grip and to reseat the grip works a s a great glue for these. do not use bar ends on riser bars they are not designed for bar ends.

Cheers, sorry, im a complete newbie, what are 'riser bars'?:biggrin:

mr Mag00

rising member
tn4_6649546.jpg
riser

RC2992_1.jpg
flat

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

mr Mag00 said:
tn4_6649546.jpg
riser

RC2992_1.jpg
flat

cheers, myn arent completely flat but arent as raised as the first ones, whay cant you use bar ends with riser handle bars?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

betty swollocks

large member
Cut the very end off the grips, so you can slide them inboard - you'll need to loosen your gear shifters and brakes and move them inboard too.
To loosen the grips, lever them up with a knitting needle or similar, squirt some hairspray inside to lubricate and then slide. When the hairspray dries, the grips will become secure.

mr Mag00 said:
not designed for the different stresses involved at the ends of the bars

however, if you've got a small set of bar ends for resting your hands on in a more relaxed position but for riding out of the saddle use the normal hand position then you'll be fine.

the tolerance and safety loading on metal bars should cope with small bar ends even when used out of the saddle, the loading isn't that different.

Cubist

Still wavin'
What about these?
ergon-gc2-grips.jpg

Ergon GC2 grips with integrated bar ends. At a guess they will give you a comfy hand-position without overstressing the bars?

Top Bottom