bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
i want to put Brooks leather bar tape on my Dawes galaxy.Is it poss to put over existing tape or will that just look a bit daft?

Never tried it.

Would have thought it would slip around and be a bit naff as it's meant to be wrapped around something solid (metal bar) and not something squishy (bar tape). Might be a struggle to get good wrapping as the circumference of a tape-covered bar is obviously larger, necessitating a longer roll of tape for the same coverage.

Someone else may have done it successfully but if I were to try it, I'd try with some budget tape first

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I don't see why not, I have foam tubular grips underneath my bar tape, slit them lengthways and put a section on the drops and a section on the tops/corners. I find it very comfy and easier/cheaper than messing about with gel pads etc, £6 gets you enough to do 2 bikes comfortably.

I suppose the only thing to watch for is the more you have under the tape then the more tape you need to use when wrapping.

adscrim

Veteran
I've got two layers of tape on the top of my bars - give a bit of extra cushioning when on the hoods a larger bar to hold when on the tops (which I like). The extra width didn't cause any problmes regards the length of tape and it feels good, not overly squishy or lumpy. No experience with the brooks tape though.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I wrap mine first with old innertubes and then bar tape over that. DIY Gel pads for nowt :biggrin:

Top Bottom