Barcelona ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going for a long weekend at beginning of March with Ms Mickle to celebrate something or other. Do the honourable members have any recommendations for restaurants and the like. I suppose romantic sorts of things.

Don't mention Gaudi neither, as a staunch modernist I have no time for whimsical surface decoration done with bits of old crockery.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The sagrada familia is awesome up close. Well worth seeing, just for the sheer size of it. Its not got too many plates glued onto it as well!

Melvil

Lots of really nice restaurants in the old town and its nice to walk through the tiny wee streets...we went to a really nice restaurant there..modern but with really hearty tasty food - can't remember the name though :-(

When you go to the Sagrada, go up to the top via the tower stairs rather than the lifts.

Barceloneta along the waterfront is nice in the evenings.

Miro gallery on the hill is worth a visit too.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
picasso museum's worth a look too
and... (I know it';s Gaudi, but...) Parc Güell is deffo worth a look too

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Thanks peeps!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
And if you fancy either a British Breakfast or disco dancing of an evening with 6 foot transvestites with 5 o'clock shadow, go down the coast to Sitges. :biggrin:

MarkF

Guru
I have just got back from Badalona, just north of Barcelona. Avoid the Ramblas, unless you have a pressing need for a cheap replica footie shirt, yuk, more culture on Blackpool prom. The advice on keeping money safe is good, it's pickpocket city, I am used to it but I still lost 50 euros from a zipped thigh pocket!

Just wander and soak up the atmosphere, it's great for couples, but not in the red light area at night........although there is a really weird cat sanctuary in the middle of it worth seeing......if you like cats.:biggrin:

Bike hire is readily available;)

gary r

Guru
rich p said:
Keep your wallet well hidden when strolling down the Ramblas.

Good advise, keep your wits about you.my in laws were robbed by 3 men in Barcelona.They pulled up in front of their car smashed the window & made of with wallet/handbag/money & passports etc.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A guy I knew (I hesitate to say 'friend') once stupidly tried to do a runner from a cab in Barcelona (not big, not clever). The guy followed him in the cab, pinned him up against the wall (with his cab) and held a machete to his throat till he dug out some cash... they don't mess about, those Catalan cabbies... but it's a lovely place, really. :biggrin: (seriously... my 2nd fave city, after NYC)

Top Bottom