Barcelona scams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We've booked a trip to Barcelona for the second May BH. Very excited about it, but now all I'm finding online is stories of people being mugged!!

We're fairly well travelled, the husband is built like a tank, but I'm actually quite nervous. Has anyone been to Barca recently and got any advice? I went a few years ago and managed not to be mugged despite a fabulous mojoto haze that has blanked most of my memory - has it really got worse in the past few years?

It was fine when I went last year, keep your wits about you around Las Ramblas though. No worse than any other big city I'd say, certainly better than Prague...

Going to Barcelona is probably no more dangerous than going to somewhere like, say, Liverpool!

Obviously keep valuables concealed or secure, and have as little on visible display as possible, thus making yourselves an 'unattractive' target for the muggers.

I think you'll have a fine time and won't experience any unpleasant people.

Have fun! ;)

do what we did in poland, passports and extra money in a hidden money belt etc

just keep your whits about you instead of letting them down cos your on holiday.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Mugging and physical violence is very rare in BCN. You are more likely to be scammed or have your pocket picked.
I have never had any problems there, but never stop if someone approaches you even if they claim to be the police, step over people who drop money in front of you, carry a cloth to wipe "bird droppings" from you clothes without stopping, stand a little way away from the crowds on Les Ramblas.
Check this site for safety advice
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/general/barcelona-safety.html

red_tom

I had a great time there a couple of years ago. Only trouble I had was trying to find somewhere that sold condoms as I forgot to bring any :tongue:

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've been to Barcelona seven times in the last five years and have to say there were two instances of pick-pocketing in the groups I've been with at various times. One lad was robbed very professionally and didn't know where or when it had happened so you could be married to Mr. Universe and it may not help. The worst places are the obvious ones around the Ramblas and the Diagonal where there are lots of tourists so you need to be careful. I certainly wouldn't worry about it though; just take normal precautions and don't let your guard down.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
yeah don't worry tooo much just be aware as you would be in ny big city, ie valuables not on show etc. Its a rather nice place - should be sunny too - some bits a bit touristy for my liking (sagrada de familia - but worth visiting if you get there before the tourists. My fave bit the park with the Miro museum. Have fun!

TVC

We're off there next Tuesday, staying near Las Ramblas. I've no particular worries, I'm sure all Spaniards are told to watch out on Oxford Street when they come to London. Just leave your passports, phone and anything you don't really need at the hotel, then spread your money and card(s) in several pockets so you're never going to lose everything if you are unlucky.

bianchi1

Guru
my brother used to live there and he says it is the pick pockets that will get you!!

here are some the scams that i saw.

The women on las Ramblas will seek out a drunk english/french/german tourist, pretend to be a whore, and fumble around in your pockets and clean you out!!

A gang of kids will surround a tourist and ask them innocent type questions such as what football team do you support etc, next thing you know everthing is gone.

dipping into bags on the metro is a fave.

Dont get me wrong Barca is an amazing city, great fun but the crime on the main street is a real problem. on a recent trip 2 of my mates were done by the kids scam. They knew what was going on but said the speed it all happened was amazing. One pick pocket whore had a go at me but i saw her coming a mile off so was ready. still managed to rip my pocket off tho!!

one highlight of a recent trip was the sight of all the snached handbags dumped around every streetside wheely bin.

So just accept that if you walk up las Ramblas at 1 in the morning you will be approached by pickpockets. Treat it as part of the experience. my brother and his mates used to go out with empty printer cartrages ( he worked for hp at the time) in their pockets to see who could be robbed first.

Lets face it it could be worse. A friend of mine was drugged and almost gay raped in a park in Bilbo.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bianchi1 said:
The women on las Ramblas will seek out a drunk english/french/german tourist, pretend to be a whore, and fumble around in your pockets and clean you out!!

This happened to my mate, Kenny, when we were strolling down Las Ramblas. It's worth being aware of the dangers as it's fairly easy to take reasonable precautions. Ken's 'tart' was a horror show too!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
See, that's the thing. Any foreign city has its horror stories but for some reason, Barca and Madrid seem to have thousands of them. Thank you for the useful scam ideas above, I guess we just need to carry the minimum possible and keep our wits about us.

Kind of makes me wish I'd booked Florence (and the giro) after all!

killiekosmos

Veteran
I've been to Barca quite a few times and I've never felt threatened or had anything nicked. It is a beautiful city. Apart from the usual tourist bits - Gaudi, Nou Camp, Ramblas try getting the tram and funicular to top of Tibidabo (the big church on top of the even bigger hill inland),visit the natural history museum on the way back (get off tram half way down). Out of town trips - Monserrat - if you have the bike try cycling to summit!

Enjoy.

Flyingfox

I had no problems when I went. As in travelling around any large city, don't keep wallets etc in your pockets, if you have a backpack only have non-valubles in it and keep any handbags under your arm.