Basso back for 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Ivan Basso has signed for Liquigas from 2009 on a 2 year contract. Whilst the President of Liquigas may be a bit wide of the mark in saying Basso was severley punished he got the maximum.

Will he be welcomed back to the fold or is he a throwback to the bad old days. Interesting one for the British fans as we forgave Millar on the whole will we do the same for Basso or are we going to be a little two faced. Basso himself did put his hands up and in my opinion should be given a chance.

Over to you.

walker

let him ride, why not, he did his time, so let him ride.

Mmmmm difficult one this.

On the one hand Basso spent quite a long while in denial and only confessed when he knew the game was up having matched his DNA.

And - more importantly - he says that hadn't actually doped(yeah right !), but was obviously intending to.

With Millar it was slightly different - he confessed almost straight away.

DanRVV2006

IMO Basso and Millar should both of been banned 4 life from the sport as should anyone sticking needles into themselves. I dont think it matters if they have done there time or not, they have cheated and disgraced the sport of cycling. They had there chance to race clean and they didnt take it so why give them a second? Is it fair on all the other clean cyclists to allow 2 previous drug takers back in?
And i have noticed that Liquigas have removed themselves from the International Association of Professional Cycling teams (AIGCP) because under the code of ethics thay cannot sign Basso! So they have bent the rules to get Basso into the pro peleton!

Aint Skeered

Banned for life. it's the only way. If the dopers where not caught, they would still be doing it. They made the choice so they should suffer the consequences

Dave5N

Über Member
Looking forward to seeing him race.

You can't give a man a punishment and then complain you don't like the punishment.

Personally, I'd have had a lifetime ban. But we/them didn't. We can't change the rules retrospectively.

Dan who are you?

DanRVV2006

y do you ask who i am?

And yes Basso and Millar have served there time but the system is wrong y when we are trying to get rid of cheats does the system/rules allow them back in?

Tetedelacourse

He should be allowed back in as them's the rules at present. The real question is whether the rules should be changed. I don't think they should.

I don't see too many differences between Millar and Basso in terms of 'fessing up - Millar was caught red-handed and had no choice but to confess. Basso had no choice once the game was up too, just took longer to pin it on him.

Dave5N

Über Member
DanRVV2006 said:
y do you ask who i am?

And yes Basso and Millar have served there time but the system is wrong y when we are trying to get rid of cheats does the system/rules allow them back in?

'cos I'm in the West Midlands and I wondered if I know you.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Slight difference between Basso and Millar in that DM could have said that he had the gear in his flat but had decided not to use it. Basso never actually fessed up to using.
One of the arguments against a longer ban than 2 years in sport is that it would count as a restraint of trade and would take the cycling authorities into deep legal and financial waters.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tetedelacourse said:
I thought there were both clean and used needles found.

You could be right but even so did Basso ever admit to anything? Not that it makes a much difference either way!

Top Bottom