Bath to Cheltenham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PIlotBecky

Hi! Does anyone have any advice on choosing a route from Bath to Cheltenham? Would prefer to avoid major roads.... thanks!

HovR

Über Member
Have you tried plotting it with Bike Hike? Just put in a start and end point, and it will plot the route for you. It also keeps off larger roads, as it is designed for cyclists.

I just tested it out from Bath > Cheltenham, and the route looked good at 43 miles, through mostly country and B roads - Unfortunately I don't think I can link the actual route to you.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Once rode it the other way as part of a Permanent Audax all the way along the A46 !

Good points, relatively flat compared with alternative routes.

Bad points, TRAFFIC , SH*T SURFACE

OP
OP
PIlotBecky

PIlotBecky

Thanks both - will check out Bike Hike - sounds good! I'm a slow cyclist so don't fancy getting stuck on the A46...will investigate! Thanks again ^_^

the snail

Guru
This is my route from chippenham, nice route and fairly flat apart from a steep little valley before you join the A435 into Cheltenham (which is a bit of a climb on the way back. I reckon the A4 is the easiest route out of Bath, but a more direct (and hilly) route would be to follow the fosse way up bannerdown through Colerne etc, then join up with my route near Kemble.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...rflg=w&mra=dvme&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1,2,3&num=10

Linford

The most direct route is over the top to Petty France, Nailsworth, Stroud, and Brockworth, big hills though. I would personally favour a different route which is more miles, but flatter, and that is to follow the Avon down to Bristol, then cut across to the A38 and up through Gloucester to Chelt.
I hired a narrow boat about 10 years ago and went from Trowbridge to Bristol down the K&A canal, and then the Avon. It is a nice route, but there are parts you wouldn't be able to follow as there isn't a tow path. You can get on the sharpness canal tow path up to Glos if you want to do that if you did choose my alternative, and then choose the old Glos road between Glos and Chelt (I live in Chelt)

Linford

The Stroud valley will without doubt test you as it is all up and down through Nailsworth, Stroud, Painswick etc. I took my roadie over 'Edge' from Stroud to Glos a few years ago on the hottest day of the year, and it reminded me why people get granny rings on their bikes.

Nozzer

The Stroud valley will without doubt test you as it is all up and down through Nailsworth, Stroud, Painswick etc. I took my roadie over 'Edge' from Stroud to Glos a few years ago on the hottest day of the year, and it reminded me why people get granny rings on their bikes.

Edge is a nice climb, birdlip and portway are tougher though. Lovely part of the world to ride.

If you dont want to ride the A46 (quite busy and as stated, rubbish surface), I would ride bath to chippenham, cirencester, cheltenham. Will be hilly ish but nice rods. The flatest way is Bath to Bristol cycle path then to the A38 thornbury to gloucester then on to cheltenham. Quite busy but flat.

Top Bottom