Battery disposal and recycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I've got a plastic box with old batteries in it, waiting for safe disposal as the substances in them aren't nice. It's full.

The council 'recycling centre' has a bin which says 'domestic batteries' and another inside a cage with car batteries in it which says 'industrial batteries'.

Ordinary use once type batteries are simple - domestic. I don't know about the rest so ..... I asked the man overseeing the place where rechargeables go. He said "dunno". I then asked where the button cells go. He said "dunno".

I brought the plastic box home again. Still full.

Does anyone here know the answer?

I'll take them next time I go there and if I know what they all qualify as I'll do things properly, otherwise I'll just default to emptying the whole lot in the domestic bin.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Why not take them somewhere like maplin in to one of their battery recycling drops?

My local Tesco has a battery recycling box...and they are everywhere.

I believe that anywhere that sells batteries must offer a recycling drop nowadays. Bundle them all together and drop them in.

Any shoppe that sells more than something like a two packs a day (can't remember what the figure was but it seemed low) is required by law to have a recycle point. Head to nearest supermarket and job done.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Any shoppe that sells more than something like a two packs a day (can't remember what the figure was but it seemed low) is required by law to have a recycle point. Head to nearest supermarket and job done.

I haven't noticed them - will have to look. I found out that Staples take in empty toner cartridges and that's been useful, and several stores now take in CFL lamps for recycling.

I am fairly sure that anywhere that sells batteries now has to have a facility to dispose of your old ones for you so they should be around more now.

What they then do with them is another thing. I would put money on them bunging the lot in their skip.

tyred

Legendary Member
I was impressed when I spotted a box for old batteries in Tescos. Then I realised that just about every shop of reasonable size has them if you look. 

Top Bottom