BBC a puppet of the Tory government?

Nothing on the BBC about the anti-vaccine* march/protest in London yesterday, neither tv/radio nor online. Has the BBC been taken over and is now fully a part of the Tory propaganda machine? A very disturbing situation.

The Beeb has always been my first port of call for unbiased information. It seems that those days have gone.

*lockdown/masking

Last edited:

Eric Olthwaite

Insert witty self-deprecating description here
Par for the course. Their coverage of David Icke's anti-lizard campaign has been similarly lacking.

Slick

Guru
Nothing on the BBC about the anti-vaccine march/protest in London yesterday, neither tv/radio nor online. Has the BBC been taken over and is now fully a part of the Tory propaganda machine? A very disturbing situation.

The Beeb has always been my first port of call for unbiased information. It seems that those days have gone.
I saw a report on BBC breakfast earlier.

snorri

Legendary Member
Nothing on the BBC about the anti-vaccine march/protest in London yesterday,
It must be relatively easy to set up a sizeable march/protest event in London due to the vast numbers of people living within easy travelling distance of the city centre this could lead to those witnessing the march/protest into over estimating the interest in the wider UK.
This was illustrated to me on a rare visit to London some years ago. It looked like thousands were demonstrating in opposition to proposed licensing of citizens band radio, at home no one seemed to care.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
I don't think the BBC are a puppet as such, but I do think they are having to tread a fine line at the moment, and to a certain extent maybe even appease a government which is hostile to their very existence. Remember the current DG is a Tory. Not just a Tory voter or supporter, an actual literal Tory who has stood for election and was chair of his local party.

That said, I'm not convinced that a decision not to report, or to report only minimally on an anti-vaccine march necessarily has anything to do with any sort of fealty to the current government or to the Tory party. They could just be giving coverage to the anti-vaccine movement proportionately to that which it deserves. Avoiding bias doesn't mean giving equal airtime to a bunch of ignorant attention seeking whackjobs, which is something the BBC has in the past been accused of doing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The BBC has always been a puppet of whatever Government happens to be in power IMHO; not unique to the Tories.

It's about time we, the public, stopped being forced to fund it. Especially those of us who don't live within it's geographic target audience, i.e. within 50 miles of London.
You're not being forced to fund it. Despite many people's compulsion to have one, a TV is not compulsory.

I saw a report on BBC breakfast earlier.
Yes, so did I.
I don't think the BBC can be accused of bias because of this.

The only thing I would say is that I do have the impression that the beeb is "careful" about pre-reporting planned demos unless they are really big, or reporting them while they are actually going on. Probably because they don't want to seem to be promoting them as such/becoming the news/becoming part of a media circus.

London is a bloody big place with excellent transport - live coverage could funnel mega crowds in to the event, including the selfie brigade.

Folk might also start debating whether they were "promoting" some demos and causes more than another.

I value the beeb - as for governments trying to bully it I well remember Blair and Campbell trying to shamelessly squash it. One of several reasons why as a traditional labour bod i despised he of the flashing teeth and his driven spinmaster.

Re the OP, I don't see a conspiracy here.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Nothing on the BBC about the anti-vaccine march/protest in London yesterday, neither tv/radio nor online. Has the BBC been taken over and is now fully a part of the Tory propaganda machine? A very disturbing situation.

I used to watch BBC World here in Hong Kong but not anymore. I stopped watching it a few years ago and I get better quality news from KBS World (Korea), NHK Japan, France 24 and Al Jazeera.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There was nothing in bbc news last night. There is nothing on their news website. Happy to be proven wrong.
It's been on the BBC TV bulletins this morning. I'd tend to agree with Winjim's view, it's being given as much coverage as it deserves.
The BBC can often be described as either far right or loony left, often in the same thread, and depending entirely on the political views of the person telling you. I'd say they tread a tricky and fine line, and generally make a decent enough fist of that, albeit with a few errors either way occasionally.

I used to watch BBC World here in Hong Kong but not anymore. I stopped watching it a few years ago and I get better quality news from KBS World (Korea), NHK Japan, France 24 and Al Jazeera.
bbc world is a separate beast though.well not a beast really - just bland in my experience. I used to watch it in italy now and again. It tried to cover too much and was therefore just unfocussed - particularly bonkers were its weather reports. Why the fark sitting in italy i should be interested in whether it was going to rain that afternoon in Saigon I have no idea - I rarely had a picnic planned there.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
bbc world is a separate beast though.well not a beast really - just bland in my experience. I used to watch it in italy now and again. It tried to cover too much and was therefore just unfocussed - particularly bonkers were its weather reports. Why the fark sitting in italy i should be interested in whether it was going to rain that afternoon in Saigon I have no idea - I rarely had a picnic planned there.
Ha! Same, I spend half my life in hotel rooms where BBC World might be the only English choice, and soon remember that I may as well not bother, that thing is just bizarrely and uselessly random. Quick snapshots of the weather in Oman, Jakarta and Nairobi, just on the off chance you might be within 10 miles of one of them. Bizarre business reports about e commerce in Mali presented by Rico in Singapore, the constantly surprised looking Sally Bundock in London, and that walking Tigger impression Aaron Heslehurst. The always thoroughly boring "Hard Talk", with Stephen Sackeur politely chatting with someone who used to be a UN diplomat, followed by that turgid bald bloke with a moustache who is always "talking movies".
It's "The Day Today" made real, po faced and entirely without self awareness. I'll generally switch over to watching unintelligible Indian pop videos after about 10 minutes.

Top Bottom