BBC a puppet of the Tory government?

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
So his facts stand, irrespective of the media they are in. That seems to suggest the BBC are not the Tory Government's puppet as the OP asked. :okay:
I don't know if his facts stand. He's hardly a disinterested party is he? I'm not sure we can exactly accept his word just on faith.

That said, the BBC do appear to have published some corrections to their story so there's that.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
But it's a strange puppet that campaigned relentlessly against the most significant Tory government policy of the last 50 years, Brexit, between 2016 and 2019.
Many Remainers would say the opposite...

I don't know if his facts stand. He's hardly a disinterested party is he? I'm not sure we can exactly accept his word just on faith.

That said, the BBC do appear to have published some corrections to their story so there's that.
Given you say the BBC has corrected their initial story, you at least have some idea if the facts stand, and as you claim to have no idea if Dyson's version is true, it implies you can't know the BBC's is either.

All of which supports my point regarding the question in the OP, and the BBC are not a puppet of the Tory Government.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
Given you say the BBC has corrected their initial story, you at least have some idea if the facts stand, and as you claim to have no idea if Dyson's version is true, it implies you can't know the BBC's is either.

All of which supports my point regarding the question in the OP, and the BBC are not a puppet of the Tory Government.
Fair enough, I just thought the Telegraph angle was an interesting one given the subject of the thread.

Tribansman

Über Member
Agree that the BBC appeared to be broadly pro remain in line with their role as national establishment don't-rock-the-boat-broadcaster.

But they were also instrumental in the Brexit project gaining ground by obssessively platforming Farage and credulously amplifying patent b0llocks. Their mostly facile coverage - in particular lazy, uncritiqued voxpops that was a staple of most of their Brexit 'analysis' - was intensely irritating.

The whole point of a voxpop is it gives the man, literally, in the street to chance to have his say.

It is not the function of the journalist to say Cedric in Burnley might say that, but we know it's shite, don't we?
True - and of course the beeb sometimes gets accused of being too metropolitan.
On the beeb and brexit (I have no wish to get into a debate on brexit itself or send the thread that way) there is a fair amount of evidence that the been was caught on the hop by the result. Covered by John Humphries in his autobiog. So I don't think the beeb can be accused of promoting a brexit line.

PK99

Legendary Member
Piers Corbyn. I mean seriously Piers bloody Corbyn. A man who manages to pull off the improbable feat of being simultaneously the worst Piers and the worst Corbyn.
Whenever I see either Corbyn I'm prompted to think that gangplanks would be more appropriate than piers

Tribansman

Über Member
It is not the function of the journalist to say Cedric in Burnley might say that, but we know it's shite, don't we?
I think it is. Journalism is about more than mere, uncritical, reporting or ventriloquism

It's about getting beneath the news/story/what people say. It's investigation, analysis and thoughtful commentary. It's in-depth expository reporting.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think it is. Journalism is about more than mere, uncritical, reporting or ventriloquism

It's about getting beneath the news/story/what people say. It's investigation, analysis and thoughtful commentary. It's in-depth expository reporting.
Not in the case of a vox pop it isn't.

Quite the reverse, bearing down on the citizen for simply expressing his opinion is unethical.

All the other stuff you mention does have its place, and may well have it in the story the vox popped person is commenting on, but not on the person themselves.

Tribansman

Über Member
Not in the case of a vox pop it isn't.

Quite the reverse, bearing down on the citizen for simply expressing his opinion is unethical.

All the other stuff you mention does have its place, and may well have it in the story the vox popped person is commenting on, but not on the person themselves.
Didn't say it should be to the person directly, but definitely part of the studio or related analysis and exploration. But that was almost always entirely lacking

Top Bottom