BBC news click bait

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by bikingdad90, 15 May 2019.

1. bikingdad90

bikingdad90 Formerly chris harte

Over the last few weeks the BBC news page seems to be “down” with the millennials with headlines like “Why the Jeremy Kyle show was scrapped” and “why ninja is turning off his face cam”, blah blah blah etc. The headlines seems to be increasingly aimed at click bait. It is really starting to annoy me. Does anyone else feel the serious adult attitude of the BBC is no longer and that it’s approach to the market comes across as a bit fresh out of university and wet behind the ears and not civilised and reasoned like it used to be?

Much the same as the way radio one and two has gone over recent years.

2. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

The BBC news page refers to itself as having a "magazine format" now, hence 50% of it being gossiping drivel.

3. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Tend to agree. The grauniad is now my primary on-line news source and well supporting financially.

marinyork and yello like this.
  4. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

Its definitely been dumbed down of late imo - as you say, probably due to the desire to attract listeners of eg Radio 1 who wet their undies at the latest puerile joke, jolly jape or boring self obsessed anecdote by the likes of Mills, Grimshaw & Co.

C R and CharlesF like this.
  5. Glow worm

Glow worm Guru

I had no idea Radio 1 was still going- how quaint.

6. fossala

fossala Veteran

It's not an editorial style I'm drawn towards by if they can get a broader audience reading the news, then great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice