BBC news.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Personally, I have stopped watching the news on the BBC as it is all about the UK and the USA. We know everything that is happening over the pond, most of the time things that don't even concern us, but very little about the rest of the world, unless it is very, very important so they can't ignore it. I tend to watch ITV news now, that is the few times that I watch them as it can be so depressing. I don't buy newspapers either as the British press is absolute crap in my opinion as it is controlled and manipulated by the likes of Murdock and Co. I do watch the local news on ITV as I can associate with that though.

Slick

Veteran
I must admit, I stopped buying a paper years back but I'm watching the news bulletin now and there was plenty from Japan and Kabul but nothing about America. I did watch the world service whilst on holiday, and as you say lots about Nancy, Trump and impeachment.

Rusty Nails

We remember
I am not surprised when my local TV/Radio station concentrates on news in my area. Neither am I surprised that a national broadcasting organisation concentrates primarily on what goes on in that country.

The news is 30 mins long and choices about what is likely to be of more interest and relevant to UK viewers, have to be made unless you want to skim through scores of news items from around the world.

In this digital age there are plenty of other options for international news.

JtB

Executive Rooster
Personally, I have stopped watching the news on the BBC as it is all about the UK and the USA. We know everything that is happening over the pond, most of the time things that don't even concern us, but very little about the rest of the world, unless it is very, very important so they can't ignore it. I tend to watch ITV news now, that is the few times that I watch them as it can be so depressing. I don't buy newspapers either as the British press is absolute crap in my opinion as it is controlled and manipulated by the likes of Murdock and Co. I do watch the local news on ITV as I can associate with that though.
The British media generally has been like that for as long as I can remember.

HMS_Dave

I don't mean to be confrontational but what do you want? Im not interested in the pothole crisis of Kazakhstan or the Wasabe world taste testing championships in Tokyo. I sort of agree with the USA being dominant in the news compared to elsewhere at times, but the US is in election year and there are primaries going on and everyone is trying to get a feel as to what may happen in the election. It's largely important to the world. The Aussie bushfires rightly got loads of coverage as has the variation of Coronavirus and continues to get. Like as been suggested if current affairs of individual nations around the world interests you, there are many sources on the great interwebs to get you salivating over, give it a google. Good Luck :okay:

HMS_Dave

There are more than two countries in the world and it would be nice to see what happens elsewhere too. I am not interested either if a road in the USA has been flooded, that is local news for them, not us.
I'm just not seeing the issue. I have to admit I dont watch much news on the telly. I tend to consume it on the websites instead. The bbc news website has hardly anything USA related unless you specifically access it in it's own section. If ITV News suits more your tastes then you've pretty much solved it.

OP
gavroche

gavroche

I'm just not seeing the issue. I have to admit I dont watch much news on the telly. I tend to consume it on the websites instead. The bbc news website has hardly anything USA related unless you specifically access it in it's own section. If ITV News suits more your tastes then you've pretty much solved it.
The issue is that the BBC is supposed to provide international news, not USA news most of the time. I couldn't care less if Trump has bought a new wig yesterday, is that world news?

OP
gavroche

gavroche

The issue is that the BBC is supposed to provide international news, not USA news most of the time. I couldn't care less if Trump has bought a new wig yesterday, is that world news?

Rusty Nails

We remember
As far as I can see the only US news at the moment on TV is the Democrat primaries..which are important to the World and to us. The really big story is coronavirus, which is getting much more coverage and before that it was the Australian fires, and earlier in the week it was the Germany shootings.

Exactly what sort of international news do you want to see fitted in to our 30 mins? Does coverage of the EU stance on negotiations count as international news? Is there a big budget coming up in France or Latvia that we should be told about, or a showbiz scandal brewing in Peru or Romania?

I am sad to have missed the BBC coverage of Trump's new wig, now that is important.

Top Bottom