Be careful out there!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Be careful folks.

It's easy to get over confident where the ice has receded. I found myself today, on occasion, just pushing things a little to far (nothing serious, but taking more risk than I should). I think it is easy to do when an obvious risk, such as snow and ice is no longer there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Low pressure Studded tyres...nah..na..na..nah..na

Blooming slow though, and they don't half make a racket....

The fixed is staying indoors until the ice goes.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Yep, that's when i had my big off last year, tearing down a hill that i thought was ice-free, didn't see the patch that was in the shade of the tree where the sun never reached........

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nah... thanks for the advice but I am going to go completely mad, bonkers in fact, like a whirling dervish bat out of hell... :biggrin:

magnatom said:
Be careful folks.

It's easy to get over confident where the ice has receded. I found myself today, on occasion, just pushing things a little to far (nothing serious, but taking more risk than I should). I think it is easy to do when an obvious risk, such as snow and ice is no longer there.

biking_fox

Guru
Witht he tailwind I was definetly pushing it a bit today. There are still several patches of ice around, and where a sideroad meets the main you need to be very careful.

But it was grand to get the wind through my hair again after so many days of careful struggling.

Femto

The above posts were all yesterday....this is today. Just came off on some black ice. No way of spotting it at all.

Chain broken, lights smashed off their handlebar mounting, shin took a whack on what I can only imagine was my crossbar and praise goes to my helmet, which, if I had not worn it, would not have stopped, as it did, the back of my head hitting the tarmac with quite a crunch.

Back home now with a cold compress on my leg. It'll have to be the bus for the rest of the week.

Sorry to hear about your 'off' Femto. I doubt you'll be the only one today.

This morning's is the worst black ice I've seen for years. Pavements, roads - nowhere is safe! I must be becoming more risk-averse because I took one look at the cul-de-sac and decided to stick with the bus today. And even then, the bus driver's first comment was about how tricky the roads were - he took the corner where I fell off last winter very gingerly indeed.

Bus journey took 5 mins longer than normal. The crazy speed at which some car drivers were going had to be seen to be believed.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Most of the ice & snow was gone last night, there is a fresh inch or so out there this morning.

It's 'walk to school Wednesday' so I only need to do half the ride today.

Femto

...oh and thanks to the many motorists and pedestrians that looked the other way as my bike and I lay in the road. One guy in a van stopped and asked me if I needed help so, repsect to him.

Top Bottom