Bealach Beag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waspie

Über Member
Not the Beag but I'm signed up for the Mor in September.

Don't want to worry you, but a lot of the hard work comes after the pass! Barely a flat bit of road on the Applecross peninsula.

I found the pass to be a little easier than I expected, it's still a big hill though.:blink:

Should be a great day, absolutely stunning part of the world.

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Not the Beag but I'm signed up for the Mor in September.

Don't want to worry you, but a lot of the hard work comes after the pass! Barely a flat bit of road on the Applecross peninsula.

I found the pass to be a little easier than I expected, it's still a big hill though.:blink:

Should be a great day, absolutely stunning part of the world.

Yes, I've been told the ride is just as hard, if not harder after the pass

Not expecting miracles and will be happy to get to the end

Noodley

The bit after is not too bad, or maybe time has faded the memory of how bad it was :wacko:

Seriously, if you have put in the miles and are fit then it will be fine - I would not be able to do it in my current state of unfitness, but hope that I can ride in those parts again without having to walk!

Nebulous

Guru
I did the Mhor last year - as my second ever sportive. It was certainly a challenge, and I had a bit of a fail on the hill. Despite taking an hour for the climb I was reasonably pleased with the rest of the day. I regard it as unfinished business, and may be back this year, depending on how things pan out between now and then.

Waspie

Über Member
The bit after is not too bad, or maybe time has faded the memory of how bad it was :wacko:

The bit after is ok, rolling hills, but once you hit the north coast of the peninsula it's one steep hill after another until Sheildaig. Give me a long drag of a climb anyday over repeated steep climbs. Might be a weight thing. :blush:

edindave

Über Member
Am jealous! I was annoyed that this one clashed with the Etape weekend which I signed up for last summer.
And the Sept event is no good for me either... oh well, hopefully next year I'll get a crack at it.

All the best for it!

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

Am jealous! I was annoyed that this one clashed with the Etape weekend which I signed up for last summer.
And the Sept event is no good for me either... oh well, hopefully next year I'll get a crack at it.

All the best for it!

A clash is no bad thing

Enjoy the Etape. I missed out on it, as entries closed very quickly before I got organised, but I am now having a weeks leave in the Lochcarron area after the Bealch Beag, walking and cycling , so every cloud has some sort of lining that shimmers...apparently

theloafer

Legendary Member

did this climb 2006..did not find it that bad :whistle: ..is on the long side but the steep bit is when you get up to the hairpin,s... if done on a clear day view,s are brill.. :biggrin:
4319-6490bc59790003203c2e8019266641f5.jpg 4320-048b16b08a7b0113b46099f53f821245.jpg
4321-1e343089bf11e63f78303bf83c64d6f2.jpg 4322-1e1ef81b7087ce25214d84532ad18557.jpg
4323-f500fd2a5c47a8feeafb4dbabd036f74.jpg ... i found it easier than hardknott .......... larry​

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

looks like you had a nice day

I went back on wednesday and cycled over it again, this time doing the full 90 mile Bealach Mor route, but with a Lochcarron start and finish, so twice over the big hill in 5 days. Was even going to do it a third time on the thursday, but was put off by the snowplough going up to clear the overnight snow (in May !!!!) so did Lochcarron to Diabeg return in foul weather- turned out to be some mental climbs in and out of Diabeg (I should have paid attention to the double chevrons on the road map) - stunning place nonetheless

So no prizes for figuring out what my second ever sportive will be!!!

Top Bottom