Bear Valley Chainset problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
10 year old rigid Bear Valley. Sadly neglected by me, began to get the full makeover today.

I'm basically looking at a complete new drivetrain. I think it's a Shimano XTR chainset, inner is OK but middle and particularly outer have had it, including broken teeth, in fact it's a tribute that it worked.

I'm thinking it's not worth getting new chainrings or is it. Which would cost more, chainring or a new chainset and which chainset is equivalent, is there still an XTR, I haven't looked yet?

This bike has probably done 3000-5000 miles only, commuting, off-road, on-road and general dogsbody. I will grease all bearings, replace all cables and de-gunge all bits. What's the view on the BB. It seems smooth, no play. Likewise headset.

Finally any recommendations on V-brake, I think these are dia-compe (can't remeber without heading out to the shed), work well but awful to adjust and I bust one of the centering adjusters today :smile:

simonali

Guru
I doubt it's an XTR chainset, just a set of rings for one is about £150! Merlin Cycles has some good bargains at the moment, as I got a mailshot from them a few days ago.

Also, it's unlikely that what you're looking at are broken teeth, they're low profile teeth at top dead centre, designed to allow the chain to move between rings at the point of lowest torque.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thanks chaps, I'm not too au fait with mtn bike gear. I used to have a spec sheet somewhere for this bike but I can't lay my hands on it.

Is the profile completely different to road rings then? There are quite a few teeth looking a bit ragged and any idea on what BCD it might be?

94 BCD. Go for steel for the middle for durability and aluminum for the outer to save a chunk of gravity.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

old post this - believe it or not I'm only juist putting the Bear Valley back together.

Anyway, I'm struggling finding chainrings at a good price so was just looking at replacing the chainset. Some come with BB's as well. Is the thread size going to be the same. Mine is the square taper type not Isis or Octa-wotsit?

Edit - 7 speed system

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Bump.

Can't get the chainrings at all for mine (5 arm 94bcd if anyone knows of some). Well I can, but TA and for the cost I might as well replace the chainset.

So! New chainset new BB.

a) Will it fit my exisitng BB threads
:wacko: Does the BB length matter (most chainsets seem to come with a BB, length unspecified)
c) Will the fact that my Bear Valley is a sevens speed and most chainsets are now 8/9 make a difference.

Any answers at all appreciated.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Right, well, thanks for all the replies, no really thanks.

Slowly I'm making progress. Can't decide on a square taper Alivio or M442 replacement, which look slightly naff or to get a new BB and chainset. My BB length seems to be 110mm and as the BB's all state a range, apart from the Hollowtech I reckon it'll work. Should be enough adjustment in the front mech, so long as the chainline is within a mm or two.

What say you? (Just say anything, so I know I'm not talking to myself)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK you've reduced me to having to answer my own questions now.

My current BB is a 68 shell, 110-113 axle length with a 47.5-50 chainline. So so long as I get a BB with an axle length within those dimensions I'm laughing.

If I want the new Hollowtech, that's fine too as my chainline is 47.5-50 and Hollowtechs are set to 50.

So now I just have to find myself a bargain.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The continuing soliloquy of a thread gone to the dogs...

Well, decided on an M442 Deore tapered, so a straight replace, pretty much like for like. I did find a few good bargains but when I added in the cost of the tool to do it, they weren't bargains anymore.

Many thanks for everyones replies :rofl:

Top Bottom