Beauty and the Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
"Why do British girls stop cycling? By simply asking this basic question, the film reveals the damage that has been done by 50 years of car-centric transport policies. Whilst we fill our lives with debates about risk assessment, cycle helmets, cycle training and marketing strategies to try to persuade people to cycle more, the basic barriers to cycling remain untouched - generous urban planning towards the car, and the resultant poor motorist behaviour towards cyclists. Is it any wonder that most people find cycling unattractive in the UK, but attractive in cycling-friendly towns and cities? It's the infrastructure, stupid!"

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88sF-rvul0

http://hembrow.blogspot.com/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Interesting video - I think teenage girls could like those style of bikes, they have to be just as practical as the BMX's that the boys and quite a few of the girls ride - except they actually have a means of carrying bags too.

As to the infrastructure - having it separate would encourage lots of non-cyclists especially families.

Nipper

Great short film. I will have to get the DVD when it is out. The film really should be shown on TV?

The comment about would you take your family out on a main road was very telling. All the training in the world would not be enough for me to let my small children anywhere near the nutters driving cars and lorries. We are able to go out cycling as a family only because we use separated paths (not just paint but the real paths with physical separation). However due to the lack of suitable paths we sometimes have to ride the pavements too.

It is time for the lycra nuts to shut up about vehicular cycling on painful and unsuitable bikes, it hasn't worked and now it is just slowing down real change. The future is simple we need to copy the Dutch and the Danish, they have high rates of safe cycling where everyday people use comfortable bikes to replace journeys they would have otherwise made by car.

Well done to all involved in cycle campaigning in Darlington they are on the right track.

MartinC

Über Member
Nipper said:
It is time for the lycra nuts to shut up about vehicular cycling on painful and unsuitable bikes, it hasn't worked and now it is just slowing down real change.

I agree with most of what's said here, but not this. It's a false dichotomy for a start. Cycling is, and should be, many things to many people. I use bikes for many forms of cycling. It's a great shame that utility cycling is unpopular and difficult in the UK and we could do much to encourage it. Railing at another group of cyclists certainly doesn't help, this tribal animosity seems to be a perennial and counter productive feature of cycling in the UK.

Encouraging any form of cycling helps. The idea that sporting cyclists are impeding change is a ludicrous as suggesting that people enthusing about marathon running are discouraging others from walking.

One way to encourage others to cycle is to enjoy it and to enjoy and celebrate others doing it in any shape or form. This is a simple form of campaigning which is available to all of us (cyclists) and we should take every opportunity to do it.

Nipper

Hi Martin, glad we can agree on most of it. I am curious that yon didn't bring 'Summerdays' comments in, as he/she was critical of the bikes used by the Darlington girls, jokingly comparing them to the BMXs; strange when for the rest of Europe they are the practical, everyday, normal, type of bike.

The thing is as you race by in lycra on a painful looking road bike you are putting normal everyday people off cycling. However wide your smile is, they still look at you and think, that sort of thing is not for me and jump back into their cars.

Having said that the main issue is cycle paths, the more we have, the more people will cycle and the fewer cars there will be. The problem is that the lycra boys are going round spreading disinformation that vehicular cycling is going to be the answer. They spread this lie which then benefits car drivers by keeping the number of cyclists down. If the lycra boys were on the side of truth and promoted cycle paths and so actually tried to increase the number of cyclists, then I would be more supportive of them, despite their strange penchant for fetish gear.

To stay on track with the thread, well done to the girls of Darlington. They are bucking the UK trend and showing bicycles can be chic and practical.

I am from the Cambridge area and my teens have a lot of fond memories of young ladies, summer dresses and classic dutch ladies bikes.

StuartG

slower but further
The major impact of cycling in Copenhagen was, for me, just the ordinariness of it. Everyone was dressed as they would be for walking on the pavement. Some in high heels, some flat shoes, skirts, jeans but not a millimetre of lycra to be seen. 99% of bikes were 'sit up & begs'.

Cycles being the majority of vehicles on the road meant they didn't have to stand out - and if it rained or if you had a flat you could easily take it home by public transport. Cycling is just a thing you do, no need to make a statement as over here. Heaven!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Nipper said:
Hi Martin, glad we can agree on most of it. I am curious that yon didn't bring 'Summerdays' comments in, as he/she was critical of the bikes used by the Darlington girls, jokingly comparing them to the BMXs; strange when for the rest of Europe they are the practical, everyday, normal, type of bike.

The thing is as you race by in lycra on a painful looking road bike you are putting normal everyday people off cycling. However wide your smile is, they still look at you and think, that sort of thing is not for me and jump back into their cars.

Having said that the main issue is cycle paths, the more we have, the more people will cycle and the fewer cars there will be. The problem is that the lycra boys are going round spreading disinformation that vehicular cycling is going to be the answer. They spread this lie which then benefits car drivers by keeping the number of cyclists down. If the lycra boys were on the side of truth and promoted cycle paths and so actually tried to increase the number of cyclists, then I would be more supportive of them, despite their strange penchant for fetish gear.

To stay on track with the thread, well done to the girls of Darlington. They are bucking the UK trend and showing bicycles can be chic and practical.

I (female;) by the way) wasn't really having a go at BMX bikes or the dutch style bikes, just meant that its the popular type of bike to ride around here for kids, but that they aren't always suitable for the location. Some kids struggle on anything that isn't flat on them. I presume its based on what gear is supplied which tends to be too high frequently.

A 9 year old girl school last week was telling me proudly that she had just learnt to cycle (on a BMX style bike) but because the front cog was very large when I watched her, she was struggling with getting started and cycling in a straight line.

Me I would love to ride one of the dutch style ones for cruising around casually but again wouldn't find it practical commuting on the hills - I need my full set of low gears (yeah I know I'm a wimp).

What I meant was that the boys like the BMX's whether they are practical or not, so if the girls liked the dutch bikes was that any different. If anything I think the dutch bikes are better, but does it matter whether its practical if it gets them cycling and doesn't put them off.

I'm a jeans wearing cyclist so it doesn't bother me what other cyclists wear.

There are some important reasons why cycle paths aren't always right and certainly not for all cyclists, but I do agree they are a good way to introduce new cyclists to the pleasures of cycling.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Nipper said:

The above unintentionally highlights another dimension to the low cycling modal share in the UK - the divisive and dialectical nature of debate amongst cyclists (certainly on fora) and the cycling community in general. Is it any wonder cycling is stymied in this country?

Back to the promo vid - I think it's great.

Norm

The promo vid was great, wasn't it. I wish we had more opportunity to get everyone on bikes, not just teenagers.

Origamist said:
The above unintentionally highlights another dimension to the low cycling modal share in the UK - the divisive and dialectical nature of debate amongst cyclists (certainly on fora) and the cycling community in general. Is it any wonder cycling is stymied in this country?
I agree with Nipper.

I think that, as / if cycling becomes more widespread, the diversity will increase but I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.

Cycling is a single word to pigeon-hole a widely diverse range of activities, those who ride for pleasure don't get the same out of it as those who commute who have different drivers from those who race. You have only to look at the number of sub-forums on CC to see that diversity.

For instance, increasing the number of cycle paths may help encourage more families out but not if the (sorry to use the phrase) lycra louts take over. In the threads we've had about mixed-use paths, it seems there is some sort of consensus that people should not cycle fast when there are pedestrians about, but how about mixing someone who wants to ride a dedicated cycle-way at speed with a group of cyclists out for a picnic.

IMO, countries which have a high proportion of cyclists do not have a high proportion of high performance cyclists. The difference in the numbers between London and Copenhagen is not in the numbers on bikes with drops but the numbers on clunkers, shoppers and Dutch-style bikes, basically, the number of ordinary people who use a bike as a means of transport. I think that seeing brightly clad racing snakes riding around on scalpels does not encourage that sort of cycling.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Norm said:
I agree with Nipper.

I think that, as / if cycling becomes more widespread, the diversity will increase but I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.

Neither do I! I think you might have misunderstood my point. It is the nature of the debate propounded by Nipper that is wrongheaded; I too lament the lack of utility cyclists in the UK. Just as "vehicular cycling" is going to do diddly-squat for increasing the number of cyclists, neither is stereotyping those that choose to wear lycra (or Hi Viz for that matter).

My tastes are catholic with regard to bikes and apparel: a folder for multi-modal use, a mtb for X country, a fixed gear for commuting, a racer for long distancing riding, a tourer with panniers for shopping...I've also ridden happily in Denmark and the Netherlands.

Norm said:
Cycling is a single word to pigeon-hole a widely diverse range of activities, those who ride for pleasure don't get the same out of it as those who commute who have different drivers from those who race. You have only to look at the number of sub-forums on CC to see that diversity.

This is my point, Nipper is polarising the debate: lycra vs the rest. It's a reductive and counterproductive argument. Cycling is many things to many people.

Norm said:
IMO, countries which have a high proportion of cyclists do not have a high proportion of high performance cyclists. The difference in the numbers between London and Copenhagen is not in the numbers on bikes with drops but the numbers on clunkers, shoppers and Dutch-style bikes, basically, the number of ordinary people who use a bike as a means of transport. I think that seeing brightly clad racing snakes riding around on scalpels does not encourage that sort of cycling.

Indeed, but encouraging utility cycling is better served by highlighting the multifarious benefits of cycling, not attacking those who choose to wear lycra! How can we champion diversity and inclusivity on the one hand and then fire pot shots at those who do not meet a certain dress code...

Like Nipper, I'd be far happier when more people are cycling in ordinary, everyday garb - it's a very powerful way to normalise cycling - be it to commute to work, for a trip to the theatre/cinema, or to pop down to the pub for a roast etc. Where I disagree with Nipper, is that I don't see attacking lycra wearers as constructive.

Norm

Origamist said:
Where I disagree with Nipper, is that I don't see attacking lycra wearers as constructive.
OK, I can go with that. I didn't see Nipper's comments as an attack, just saying that an increase in the numbers of those highly visible "butterflies" on performance machines won't necessarily get more people cycling.

However, having read it back, I see your point and my own thoughts might have coloured my reading.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Norm said:
OK, I can go with that. I didn't see Nipper's comments as an attack, just saying that an increase in the numbers of those highly visible "butterflies" on performance machines won't necessarily get more people cycling.

However, having read it back, I see your point and my own thoughts might have coloured my reading.

It was unfair of me to narrowly focus on Nipper's language and his caricature of lycra-wearing cyclists, as the wider point about the perception of cyclists is valid and well made.

Does ubiquitous Hi Viz do much to encourage people to cycle (the roads are like a network of building sites - an inherently dangerous environent?), does my folding bike send out clown-bike vibes (cycling as a silly/non-serious form of transport), does Nipper's retro Pashley and tweed simply remind people that cycling is outmoded in the 21st century (a throwback to to a bygone era). Should cyclists consider such things when they choose a bike, get dressed in the morning etc? I'm not sure, but I admire Nipper for trying to set an example.

Back on topic, I hope the complete doc gets broadcast.

StuartG

slower but further
I shouldn't re-stir the arguement - but I will :biggrin:

The point about Copenhagen is, from my observations, far less drop bars & MBX bikes in absolute numbers. Indeed they are very hard to spot. Lycra is just not seen in city. The norm of ordinary street clothing and SU&Bs displaces the rider apparel and bikes we see in London. If that is true then is the reverse? Is Norm right that the fiercesome assertive lycra male on an aggressively styled bike sets an expectation many women and other men may not wish to join. Taking to a bike in a city is not an easy choice, to deviate from the norm of what to wear and ride makes it harder.

So Norm is right. But to misquote; "I disapprove of what you wear, but I will defend to the death your right to wear it". Actually is not disapproval but an unfortunate acceptance that this freedom is not helpful to extending ridership in this country.

It will be intriguing to see whether Boris's hire-bikes can do anything. We should be able to tell by what those riders wear. Oh by the way I have drop-bars, a hard Brooks saddle and flash-by jaundice style ... so I'm not helping either.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Ahhh, cycling clothes - the "discourse of dress" (rational dress, ladies?!). As I have perhaps not made clear in my previous posts, clothes are really a side issue here - they will signify different things to different people - particularly when you throw cycling into the mix. Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs are likely to be deterred from riding a bike for many reasons - Batman and Robin types might in some small measure adversely affect cycling take-up, (and yes, "lycra clad super-heroes" do feed into the cultural construct of cyclists as sporty outsiders in the UK), but there are more insidious and deeply entrenched barriers to cycing that we should be addressing - impugning cyclists for sartorially failing to look like they're shopping in Lidl on a Sunday afternoon is not going to do much for cycling numbers.

Top Bottom