Beef, Dairy and the environment...

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Fab Foodie, 6 Dec 2018 at 12:20.

1. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

It's become very clear that meat consumption but in particular Beef and Dairy have become unsustainable from an environmental standpoint alone. As cyclists we are ready to bang-on about Cars in particular (but also Planes and Ships) as significant polluters, but who here is willing to give-up Beef and Dairy for the environment?

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-drastically-as-world-population-grows-report

EDIT - Posted in Cafe for widest audience,

S_t_e_v_e, Illaveago and Drago like this.
  2. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

I've not given up, but I've drastically reduced my meat intake to about one meat meal a week and that's likely to be fish.
    This is just from a personal health standpoint rather than environmental reasons.

Illaveago and raleighnut like this.
  3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I drink gallons of milk, so I'm not helping. Meat, nope, not giving it up as part of a balanced diet. We have red meat maybe once a week though.

I do my bit for the environment, which is far more than Mr Trump will allow.

4. Drago

Drago Guru

The effect has been known about for decades, but no one cares. Even David Attenborough flew to Poland in a dirty airliner to address the UN climate change summit, then tucked into a steak at his hotel.

Loads of high profile people telling us what to do, but until someone actually starts leading by example then it'll never change.

5. T4tomo

T4tomo Über Member

One theory often floated is that it more efficient to grow vegetables for human consumption than let the cow eat it it to produce milk and meat, and that is true. However a lot of pasture (I.e land where grass is grown for direct and indirect animal consumption) isnt capable of growing arable crops for human consumption.

What we should be doing is eating locally sourced grass fed beef / lamb from our local butcher, and not imported foreign grown stuff from supermarkets. It tastes better too.

Or try game. Pheasants and partridge have a very low carbon footprint.

6. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

When China does it bit for the environment, then I'll do mine

dave r and Illaveago like this.
  7. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Why?

8. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Surely you at least recycle the Daily Mail???

deptfordmarmoset and Illaveago like this.
  9. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

I've just had a ham and cheese sandwich so am on a massive guilt trip I did add tomatoes but I'm not sure that helps

10. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Do you base all your moral or ethical choices on what China does?

11. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Did you know there are more people im China than the UK hence it's not so unreasonable for them to collectively use more reaources. And lots of that is making stuff for us in any case

12. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

Exactly, the per capita consumption of resources in China is far lower than the UK

If you want to look at the real villain in the piece from a per capita resource consumption perspective, it's USA

It's very easy as someone who lives in a western post-industrial developed nation to point the finger at countries like China. They are going through their own industrial revolution and polluting as they go, just as we did in the 19 Century

13. T4tomo

T4tomo Über Member

Poor soil quality or on a hillside too steep to plough etc.

14. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

We are eating less meat these days , but I doubt we've the conviction or inclination to go veggie.
    If we do have some meat, be it chicken, beef or whatever it usually finds its way into soup that will see us through 2-3 days.

15. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Often too steep, contour ploughing works up to a point. Some areas are the wrong soil type, peat for instance, which would require a whole lot of work to allow crops to be grown. Grass can and will grow almost anywhere.

Yellow Saddle and Illaveago like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice