Been down the market......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well as promised I've been out to my local market instead of the supermarket, so keeping it lighthearted and away from the parasites thread:thumbsup:

Really good, this was Leeds market which I've been to before but only for odd things never a weekly shop.

The first thing I need to get better at is weights - I'm rubbish at estimating what I need as I've come home with 4 x the carrots I needed, was too embarrassed to tell him to put some back when I saw how much 2lbs of carrots were. Guess I'll have good eyesight at the end of the week.

The eggs I got were more expensive, but got them home and comparing them to the 'smart price' eggs I have left they are bigger even though both are 'medium'.

Meat I definitely need to get smart at, normally I'd see a steak in a packet and buy it without thinking of the weight. I've ended up coming back with 2lbs of best steak which although has cost me £20, I think I'll be eating well for the next 2 weeks hahah Again I was a little embarresed to tell the guy it was too much so I just paid up and left:blush:

Got 3 soreens for £1, compared to £1.29 (on offer!) for 1 at the supermarket. Oh and some yorkshire tea at roughly 50% I'd normally pay.

So.....

Very please, misshaps with buying too much Steak aside I'll be going back. My overspend on the steak meant I couldn't take advantage of the cheaper deals being shouted out late in the day but I'll be back next week.

I suppose the only disadvantage I can see is I cant go back until next week, but there is another market near to where I work I can use at lunch if I do need anything.

Will need to do a lot of shops over a few months to really see the difference but initial impression is I dont need to go back to the supermarket. Possible convert from the dark side lol

Arch

Married to Night Train
One of the reasons I like the supermarket is that I can handle the veg, and pick just the right sized carrot or whatever. Also, the market in York isn't cheaper as far as I can tell, and doesn't sell tinned tomatoes, pesto, pasta etc, which are my dietary staples.

Then again, York market is rather small, so I don't think there's much competition.

I like to think I play the supermarkets at their own game. I put effort into choosing the best value options, don't get lured into buying stuff on BOGOF and so on, unless it's truly useful (ie, non-perishable, or freezable), and take full advantage of any reduced to clear stuff.

The simplest supermarket for me to go to on the way home from work is Waitrose, which would be beyond my means for a full shop, but timing it right I may buy one pint of milk (at the same price at Sainsburys), and then 3 or 4 reduced items!

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Cheers for the tips^_^

I'm not anti supermarket by any means, just fancied changing my habits - I've been going to Morrisons as my regular for several years.

There were 2 quite good large 'general' stalls at leeds, seemed to do lots of different tinned, packets etc I didnt need anything from them this week but it seems well stocked.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
local markets are sadly dying , but still do offer good value where they do still exsist

I have been reading about the Leeds market for a while on another forum and the perception is that it is gettign smaller, whilst the council is loathe to spend money on it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Leeds market is likely to have the extension removed and the number of stalls reduced in the not too distant future. This has had a mixed reception from the traders. It is one of the biggest markets in Europe I think. I venture down when I want some goat meat and yams.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Leeds market is likely to have the extension removed and the number of stalls reduced in the not too distant future. This has had a mixed reception from the traders. It is one of the biggest markets in Europe I think. I venture down when I want some goat meat and yams.

That is what I have been reading yes, that extension was built after the fire I was told as a temporary structure but has remained ever since.

I'd imagine if that happened it would look a little like this, but without the fire damage

2003121_8202761.jpg

ASC1951

Guru
Leeds market .... I venture down when I want some goat meat and yams.
You don't need to go that far, Vernon - I get mine from CC Continental Supermarket in Chapeltown Road, which I would have thought was closer for you too.

TBH I don't rate Leeds market for meat or veg; but it is a magnificent building.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go to the market? Tsk, how infra-dig. In the Ribble Valley we get our groceries delivered by a little man in a van.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wish I had a market near me. The big difference is that supermarkets have everything, all the time, at about the same price. With markets, you get seasonal produce much cheaper. (And it's often nicer...if not necessarily so 'pretty'.)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You don't need to go that far, Vernon - I get mine from CC Continental Supermarket in Chapeltown Road, which I would have thought was closer for you too.

TBH I don't rate Leeds market for meat or veg; but it is a magnificent building.

I drew a blank when I trawled for goat in the Chapeltown area and was pointed towards the market. Yams are more readily available locally and the goat is good from the market. I agree with you about the meat and veg especially the veg - pristine examples on display, substandard goods bagged up from underneath the counter. I was stung several times on that count so I no longer bother.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
We use Bolton market every week for our fruit & veg,bread,cheese and other bits and bobs.Find it better quality and the customer service with our regular stalls is just brilliant....our kids normally get a free bag of grapes each time we visit,Supermarket would not do that would they !

Bayerd

Über Member
Well as promised I've been out to my local market instead of the supermarket, so keeping it lighthearted and away from the parasites thread:thumbsup:

Really good, this was Leeds market which I've been to before but only for odd things never a weekly shop.

The first thing I need to get better at is weights - I'm rubbish at estimating what I need as I've come home with 4 x the carrots I needed, was too embarrassed to tell him to put some back when I saw how much 2lbs of carrots were. Guess I'll have good eyesight at the end of the week.

The eggs I got were more expensive, but got them home and comparing them to the 'smart price' eggs I have left they are bigger even though both are 'medium'.

Meat I definitely need to get smart at, normally I'd see a steak in a packet and buy it without thinking of the weight. I've ended up coming back with 2lbs of best steak which although has cost me £20, I think I'll be eating well for the next 2 weeks hahah Again I was a little embarresed to tell the guy it was too much so I just paid up and left:blush:

Got 3 soreens for £1, compared to £1.29 (on offer!) for 1 at the supermarket. Oh and some yorkshire tea at roughly 50% I'd normally pay.

So.....

Very please, misshaps with buying too much Steak aside I'll be going back. My overspend on the steak meant I couldn't take advantage of the cheaper deals being shouted out late in the day but I'll be back next week.

I suppose the only disadvantage I can see is I cant go back until next week, but there is another market near to where I work I can use at lunch if I do need anything.

Will need to do a lot of shops over a few months to really see the difference but initial impression is I dont need to go back to the supermarket. Possible convert from the dark side lol

I went to Leeds market as well today. I hope your overspend on steak wasn't with the guy selling the supposed Aberdeen Angus Sirloin (butchers in the middle, not part of the row of butchers). It was rib-eye when we were there about midday.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I went to Leeds market as well today. I hope your overspend on steak wasn't with the guy selling the supposed Aberdeen Angus Sirloin (butchers in the middle, not part of the row of butchers). It was rib-eye when we were there about midday.

No not him if he's the one I'm thinking of but he was selling his £5 meat packs for £2.50 about 4ish when I was there, the one I used was the first butcher on the left if your approaching from the 'top'. I was after a meat pack but ended up asking for '2lbs of steak please' and getting some very nice looking and not fatty meat so quite happy if a little overwelmed with the stuff lol

I went to the guys at the very bottom, outside nearest the bus station for veg - they were swamped so I worked on the idea if they were popular they were good and the veg seems ok if a little varied in size. No complaints really though.

On the subject of the market I was looking for a tailor/sewing shop that could do an ad-hoc job for me (bike bag, see this thread http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/handlebar-bag-or-seatpost-bag.95828/#post-1728863) so if anyone knows of one in the leeds/west yorkshire area let me know. The fabric shops and button shops couldnt help.

Top Bottom