Been here a few weeks, but.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
..... I still haven't introduced myself! So here goes.

About 6 months ago i had a bit of an epithany when changing from the northern line to the circle line at embankment stantion. I realised that it just wasn't normal to feel feint after climbing 30 or so steps.

Since then, i've been obsessively in the gym and on my hybrid and have got myself to the point where i can pound out 30 miles pretty comfotably at a reasonable pace, but i want more!

I've ordered myself a proper road bike to help keep my motivation over the winter months and invested in way too many toys and accessories. Now i need to set myself some goals/targets. I love the idea of doing some tri's next season, but need someone to kick me to start running and swimming.

Oh, and im a 32year old ex-surrey boy, now living and working in the web business in the big city. Am constantly trying to give up smoking.

Don't have many friends on two wheels (most are on two butt-cheeks most of the time) sadly, so glad to have you lot for empathy and advice!

Tollers

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Welcome :sad:

sounds a good plan.

Funnily enough it was a flight of stairs that got me cycling too

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Tollers

Welcome (again!)
Has the Ribble arrived yet? We should compare bikes when mine arrives!!

A few questions re the Tri

What kind of distance are you looking at entering - ie sprint,olympic, ironman etc?
What would you say your strengths and weaknesses are in terms of the swimming and running and realistically how much time do you have to train and also most importantly rest
What are the stress levels like regarding the rest of your life as it will affect rest -periods and training motivation.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to post publically!

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
ttcycle said:
Hi Tollers

Welcome (again!)
Has the Ribble arrived yet? We should compare bikes when mine arrives!!

Not yet. Last week they said it would be today or tomorrow. Then on Monday they confirmed it would be tomorrow. I give it 50/50 chance but will be "Working from home" just in case.

Have you had any news/contact. Compare? I think we should breed them ;)

ttcycle said:
A few questions re the Tri

What kind of distance are you looking at entering - ie sprint,olympic, ironman etc?

I'm interested in olympic. Iron man makes me curious, but i'm not convinced it's for me.

ttcycle said:
What would you say your strengths and weaknesses are in terms of the swimming and running and realistically how much time do you have to train and also most importantly rest
What are the stress levels like regarding the rest of your life as it will affect rest -periods and training motivation.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to post publically!

I've no problem writing publicly. This lot seem a friendly bunch to me so far....and when they're not, at least they're still entertaining.

But anyway, i haven't swum in at least 2 years after a rather stupid act of bravado swimming with a few aussies around a rock in the andaman sea off thailand. It wasn't until i doggy paddled back to the boat that they told me they were actually professional swimming teachers.

For the swim (which would definitely be my weakness), i think i just need to practice and develop my technique from a base level of ....hmmm. Incidentally, Derren Brown's dad taught swimming at my school.

Improving my swimming really appeals to me as cycling would never be a good enough all-round exercise for me.

Stress levels are always high, but that's just the way i choose to be. At the moment, my life is relatively easy though and i can happily spend 15-20 hours a week exercising. However, not sure how long that might continue as work load may increase and don't want to end up a social recluse.

I'm having a bad week this week though. Spent the weekend in bed with cold/flu (not the swine variety) and am still recovering. A week off might be a really good thing though.

So what news your end? Other than all night rides to the coast?

Tollers

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Tollers said:
Have you had any news/contact. Compare? I think we should breed them :smile:

I'm interested in olympic. Iron man makes me curious, but i'm not convinced it's for me.

I've no problem writing publicly. This lot seem a friendly bunch to me so far....and when they're not, at least they're still entertaining.

But anyway, i haven't swum in at least 2 years after a rather stupid act of bravado swimming with a few aussies around a rock in the andaman sea off thailand. It wasn't until i doggy paddled back to the boat that they told me they were actually professional swimming teachers.

For the swim (which would definitely be my weakness), i think i just need to practice and develop my technique from a base level of ....hmmm. Incidentally, Derren Brown's dad taught swimming at my school.

Improving my swimming really appeals to me as cycling would never be a good enough all-round exercise for me.

Stress levels are always high, but that's just the way i choose to be. At the moment, my life is relatively easy though and i can happily spend 15-20 hours a week exercising. However, not sure how long that might continue as work load may increase and don't want to end up a social recluse.

I'm having a bad week this week though. Spent the weekend in bed with cold/flu (not the swine variety) and am still recovering. A week off might be a really good thing though.

So what news your end? Other than all night rides to the coast?

Tollers

Hello again Tollers - I will be expecting picture of this bike- hope you have a good ride on it!! Yep spoke to Alan- he explained that they are having a problem with the Campag Khamsins - offered me Fulcrum 7s which I actually prefer tbh - I'm to call them next week to get a delivery date - working from home hey....? Alright for some - I will grudgingly have to use my leave to recieve the bike.

I think if we bred the bikes Ribble would be out of a job!! Haha!!

Olympic is a good one to start off with and is a good challenge for someone with a good base fitness (which I assume you have) I think Jay Clock and Jake on here are triathletes -though Jake has not been on here for quite some time. Might be worth PM them or post in health and fitness?

Maybe the first step is to actually sign up for one and pay any relevant entry fees so you have a date to be working towards.

Where are you based in London? There are only a handful of full size pools here - but if you're doing an olympic it might be worth getting your skills ie in terms of your stroke efficiency and training up the muscles needed for swimming ie specificity in the pool and when you're more confident get some open water swimming done ie in the Serpentine or somewhere similar. Swimmers and Triathletes I know rave about the book called Total Immersion re swimming technique. You'll most likely have to consider hiring or buying a swimsuit if you're doing open water swim...no one said Triathlon was a cheap hobby -though tbh at least you have the bike which is the most expensive item imho!

However, on that note - you might over time once you have the Ribble consider retrofitting it (ie change the measurements over gradually) for the Tri - ie Timetrial rather than road set up- I'm not sure if it's possible to with the Ribble geometry you've got ie compact frames tend to help it's about the slope of the top tube but aerobars etc and shifting the saddle forward as well as having I think though don't quote me a shorter crank length may help...though tbh- if it's your first- what the hell - do it on the road set up and enjoy it rather than over worrying about too much technical set ups---gets a bit dry!!

get a date for your tri and work backwards re incorporating training - can help you with identifying weaknesses and strengths in each of your disciplines to make the training target specific- as it's different modalities etc run, swim and bike it can be easy to structure training so that you don't overtrain -which is I think one of my problems early on this season (took the swine flu to stop the steely determination for my Tri and I was only doing the bike bit lol) though on an important note, it's useful to keep the stress levels down and to rest plenty ie build up training load gradually ie 10% each week for three weeks with the third week being higher intensity and then the fourth week mainly resting for the body to adapt. You'll eat more and probably sleep more too so don't skimp on these. get at least a bit of gym work in to get good muscle strength but not bulk up the muscles but importantly if it hots up at work or life gets stressful don't worry about missing a session- you're right - life needs to be balanced.

Bit of a potted history of a reply but if you want more detail or if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs please let me know!!

Hope you feel better soon and take it easy with the old Flu!

Oh yes my news- managed to squeeze some cash out of Kryptonite -not their full £1200 anti theft protection fund which is a shame as I don't have the lock to send back - but have £500 from them - will use it to finance a Dolan pre Cursa for some track racing...exciting stuff!!!

Top Bottom