Beer free Christmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..I know it sounds like hell...but there it is...that is what I am facing....I need sympathy..lots of it...but I only have myself to blame...self inflicted agony....oh well...;)

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..I know it sounds like hell...but there it is...that is what I am facing....I need sympathy..lots of it...but I only have myself to blame...self inflicted agony....oh well...;)

BTFB, most of my life is Beer Free, certainly over the past 15 years. Good red wine, single malts, port and sherry have appeared from time to time but in moderation,

Is your self infliction through diet? addiction? medical? monetary? just choice? determination to get across France on your bike next summer?

ChrisKH

Guru
btfb - I'll be having one beer on Xmas Day so I sympathise (both my father and I have horrendous hangovers with just a few drinks so I just don't bother). Console yourself that the Boxing Day run will be faster than ever.

Alternatively, switch to hard drugs. They're less fattening. Well that's what Amy said.;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Bigtallfatbloke said:
..I know it sounds like hell...but there it is...that is what I am facing....I need sympathy..lots of it...but I only have myself to blame...self inflicted agony....oh well...:smile:

Whats the problem then BFTB? Alcohol off the menu altogether? Christmas without a few beers would be agony for me. Still, You can "make do" with a good cup of tea instead;)

wafflycat

Why is it agony to go without? Scratch that - me being nosy.

Anyhow. I'm allowing myself *one* glass of the fermented & fizzy juice of grape & that's it. Just too many wasted calories in alcohol. Plus, I like to be able to drive, and I do not mix alcohol & driving.

Stick to the alcohol free christmas, Bigtallfatbloke. "Special occasion" drinking should be avoided if possible. :smile:

(Advice offered on a 'been there, done that' thingy :smile: )

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...I'm just dammed if I'm going to put on a single lb of what I have lost this year, so beer is history. It's also a serious depressant and I dont need that.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Right behind you BTFB (not slip streaming either !!), although on Saturday I thought "I could really murder a beer", 10 seconds later I was disgusted with meself and took dog for a walk instead. So I'm having a dry Xmas and New Year as well, But if I'm a really good boy I've been told I may be allowed A pint of Guinness on me burfday (well I will be 50 !) but I may even turn that down ! (slippery slope 'n all that)

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...I'm just dammed if I'm going to put on a single lb of what I have lost this year, so beer is history. It's also a serious depressant and I dont need that.

You've worked hard to lose it and you have to work hard to stop it coming back.

Blue

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:

I lost about 80lb several years ago and have been happy with my weight ever since - without going down the road of total abstinence, which I would find a bore. I am convinced that being too strict with oneself can lead to falling off the wagon of a long term healthy lifestyle more easily than when treats are allowed - life is too short for such rigidity as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, in the short term, the simple calorie equation will let you maintain weight if you increase output along with input - it has for me!! I've increased my mileage over the last couple of weeks and will be very surprised if I weigh more in the middle of Jan that I did in the middle of Nov, without living like a monk over the festive season. I think a weigh-in over a period like that means more that looking for daily fluctuations.

On the depression front, surely beer will only be a problem if over indulgence becomes the order of the day - which I wouldn't advocate.

Whichever way all of you are going - have a good one :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
John Ponting said:
You've worked hard to lose it and you have to work hard to stop it coming back.
Damn right! I went from 16 stone down to under 13 by cutting out beer for 18 months and riding my bikes a lot. This year's wet summer meant fewer long rides and I went back on the beer. Result - I'm almost 15 stone again :smile:

Looks like it will have to be a pretty alcohol-free 2008...

domtyler

Über Member
Blue said:
I lost about 80lb several years ago and have been happy with my weight ever since - without going down the road of total abstinence, which I would find a bore. I am convinced that being too strict with oneself can lead to falling off the wagon of a long term healthy lifestyle more easily than when treats are allowed - life is too short for such rigidity as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, in the short term, the simple calorie equation will let you maintain weight if you increase output along with input - it has for me!! I've increased my mileage over the last couple of weeks and will be very surprised if I weigh more in the middle of Jan that I did in the middle of Nov, without living like a monk over the festive season. I think a weigh-in over a period like that means more that looking for daily fluctuations.

On the depression front, surely beer will only be a problem if over indulgence becomes the order of the day - which I wouldn't advocate.

Whichever way all of you are going - have a good one :smile:

Sounds like a pretty sensible philosophy to me! :smile:

wafflycat

Bigtallfatbloke said:

Good on you!

I'm the same. I will *not* be putting on any weight over the Christmas. Indeed, I intend to carry on losing weight.

Tips... for Christmas lunch, you can pig out on the non-starchy veggies to your heart's content. I intend to do just that! Also, if you're having meat in your Christmas lunch, remove all visible fat & skin before eating - just have the lean stuff.

Blue

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Good on you!
Tips... for Christmas lunch, you can pig out on the non-starchy veggies to your heart's content. I intend to do just that! Also, if you're having meat in your Christmas lunch, remove all visible fat & skin before eating - just have the lean stuff.

Yeah, I do that - I like to get my fat/excess cals from the beer and X'mas pudding afterwards :smile:

barq

wafflycat said:

Or if you can manage to get up REALLY early (earlier still if there are kids in the house!) and go for a ride to get shot of a load of calories before the day gets going. I managed that last year, although I crashed off-road in one of those freakish branch through the back wheel disasters at about 6.30am. But what can I say, it got me sympathy all day and I did get most of my ride in first. :smile:

Top Bottom