Beginners Mountains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

I have set myself the target of riding some climbs in either the Alps or Pryenees next June/July. I will build up to this with some biger climbs in the UK first. Are there any recomendations for a first visit to the mountains and would it be more sensible to go for a packaged deal or as an independent cyclist. I would like to be based at a centre so that the cycling will not involve any load carrying other than than tools/tube and my belly! Any suggestions appreciated.

ASC1951

Guru
Come up to God's Own Country, Yorkshire. You could base yourself in any of the villages in the Dales and have a week doing as many of the big hills as you wanted. If you were in Wensleydale, for instance, you could cover the area between the A65 and A66, do lots of stonking big climbs and hardly see the same ground twice.

Then for your second week you could swap limestone scenery for gritsone, put up somewhere like Holmfirth, and cover the Pennines from Snake Pass up to Oxenhope Moor.

I would go as an independent cyclist, personally, unless you prefer group riding. Do what you want, when you want. Just make sure you have a toolkit and know how to use it.

Top Bottom