Being a white middle aged man

Landsurfer

Über Member
I'm a white middle aged man. My wife is white, so are our children and grand children.
I work. My wife worked. We have never claimed benefits.
We have a house. Ex council semi. We have paid off our mortgage.
99% of our friends are white.

I turn on the TV and see a world I do not recognise. Every couple is mixed race. Their children are mixed race, often Black, or Chinese. But happy. Which is good. On children's television it is even more confusing.

I get the impression from the media that men like me have done something wrong, and my wife, but I'm honestly not sure what it is.

I'm not looking for answers.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I wonder if the press within cycling are not being helpful ...
Cycling has just run an article of the lack of BAME cyclists within UK cycling but used only black or those that have publicly identified as black to illustrate the article .....
I am a member of the BAME community, and have been subject to racism... at a very low level for years .... my father and grandparents suffered at a greater level .... My mothers father would not attend her wedding as she was "marrying one of those lot" .... at my wedding my beloved grandad apologised but would not enter the church for my wedding.
To encourage the BAME community into cycling do not forget we are not all Black ........
I'm a white middle aged man. My wife is white, so are our children and grand children.
I work. My wife worked. We have never claimed benefits.
We have a house. Ex council semi. We have paid off our mortgage.
99% of our friends are white.

I turn on the TV and see a world I do not recognise. Every couple is mixed race. Their children are mixed race, often Black, or Chinese.
I go to the shops ... Everyone is white.

I'm confused.
Am I the only one who seems to be living in a parallel universe ?
Is any further comment required?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm a white middle aged woman - and quite coincidentally i've always worked* and paid my mortgage on time too.

I live on a farm mostly surrounded by nature - plants and animals - but there are some people of various skin tones hereabouts too.

However when i look at things on the internet or on other peoples televisions - not everyone or everything looks like it does in my world* neither.

Up until now, it never occured to me how outrageous this is, or that i should object to it, but maybe i should??

not entirely sure how the first part relates to the second - but i'm sure we can come up with a connection

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I'm a white middle aged man. My wife is white, so are our children.
I work, my wife works.
My next door neighbour is from Morocco, she works.
My neighbours behind are from Poland, they work.
I do a lot of work in rented properties, the tenants come form all over the world. They work, they pay their rent which pays me.
When I was about 7 or 8 a Jamaican family moved into the coucil house next to ours, we grew up together.
I have a mixed race nephew.
I guess I'm just luckier than you.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I was just scratching my head too Poacher... I saw he claimed to be a member of the "BAME community" earlier, now he's white?
I'm not even sure what a "member of the BAME community" is to be honest.... Mudsticks claims it includes people who are gypsy, descended from white Irish. How about Scots, are we welcome? English people call us some offensive names sometimes. Is it only white Englishmen that we're excluding from this community? What about the Jews? Most persecuted people in recent history. Interesting concept isn't it. It's almost like the more you include certain subdivisions of what are basically all... well, humans, you're kind of excluding some humans too which seems to be the opposite of what most of us would like.

Anyway this is going to be another sh1te thread, so...
giphy - 2020-07-04T111138.783.gif

Last edited:

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
I'm forty-two years old. Is that middle aged?

Top Bottom