Being passed by non ebike cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

This is a question about what to do to be polite and not annoying/smug under some circumstances

S0 - the reason - todya I was going along a long flat road - slightly curvy through a country village
As I am on my ebike I was doing about 17-18 mph - yup over the cutoff speed - but my speedo read a bit high so only just over - I reckon the motor had been off for a miles or - mostly due to my amazing fitness - or possibly the tail wind:rolleyes:
Anyway - a bloke on a mountain bike type bike passed my about half way along that stretch - passed easily, nice and wide and said hello as he passed
OK - well done mate - impressive for normal clothes and a non road bike type person
anyway - he pulled away slowly until he was 40-50 yards in front

now - my problem (you knew I would get to the point eventually)

after a bit I started to catch him - I'm still at about 17 mph - over cutoff speed but only just
then the road curved and there were more trees - hence less tail wind
so I am now catching him - then there was a traffix calming thingy so we both slow down - we accelerate but clearly we are now below the cutoff speed - and it is far easier for me to accelerate then him

I am now doing 12 mph and he is not pulling away

sooooooo

what would you do

I stayed behind and just kinda pootled along - then changed my planned route home so he was no longer in front of me
I could have gone back up to normal speed (no tail wind so maybe motor assisted ) and pass him back - but is that rude and stuff and gives the impression I am laughing at him
I could have stayed behind him and stayed on the same route - but he would probably be aware of me being there and might think I was laughing at him
Previously I have just stopped and gone into a random shop - just to give him some distance

there is a possibility I am over thinking this???

any opinions

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
there is a possibility I am over thinking this???

any opinions

This! ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

I've passed a couple on e bikes on the flat then been passed by them on the next hill, its no big deal, I've had it happen before and I was expecting it, you're over thinking it, if you're faster than them just ride past.

Last edited by a moderator:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pass if you need to. You'll get people that will pass you and try too hard and then just die. I passed a bloke on one of those illegal Chinese ones (the quick ones) - he was doing a good 18 mph, hardly turning a pedal. Though he was going quickly on this off road trail, and I wasn't catching that fast, I just had to kill myself to pass and pull away. I'm sure if he'd have flicked the switch, he could have gone past twice as fast without pedalling.

One thing I picked up from time trialling, is you've got to pass and make sure you can pass and extend the distance.

iluvmybike

Über Member
We got passed today whilst riding uphill at about 12mph by a guy on a mtb - with what looked like a mahoosive front wheel "ebike conversion" - he wasn't peddling at all but moving at about 20mph! Somehow I don't think that was a legal ebike...now that was annoying...but did I dwell on it. Nope - the sun was shining and I was out enjoying myself....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We got passed today whilst riding uphill at about 12mph by a guy on a mtb - with what looked like a mahoosive front wheel "ebike conversion" - he wasn't peddling at all but moving at about 20mph! Somehow I don't think that was a legal ebike...now that was annoying...but did I dwell on it. Nope - the sun was shining and I was out enjoying myself....

Ah a motorbike is what you’ve just described.

RichardB

Slightly retro
If the OP is overthinking this, so do I. A while ago, I was riding up a long hill and came up behind two riders on road bikes. I was pushing quite hard and keeping up about 14-15 mph, and they were doing about 10. I was on my way to work, so I couldn't slow down, choose another route or stop for a coffee. I was tempted just to blast nonchalantly past them, but the whine from the motor would have given me away. In the end, I passed them and shouted "yes, I know, I am cheating!" It was a stupid thing to say, as I don't regard ebikes as cheating, but I felt I had to say something while creaming past them like Bradley Wiggins while wearing work boots and a heavy coat.

If I am on a recreational ride, I will probably do as the OP does and devise a strategy to avoid passing anyone on a pushbike. Coffee and cake sounds like a good one.

Top Bottom