Being "Polite"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coming home on the train this evening, there was a bike already in the bike space, so I leant mine in the door lobby and sat down. Train was nearly empty, tootling along merrily, until we got to the final stop. The platform is on the same side as my bike, and as I got up to put my pannier back on, a shaven-headed cove of about 60 went and stood right next to it. Any closer, he'd have been on the cross bar. But it was between him and the door, so I guess he thought he'd either climb over it, or I'd have to ask him to move.

"Excuse me" I said. No response.

"Excuse me" slightly louder "can I get to my bike please?"

"Shouldn't oughter be there anyway, that's the place for bikes over there, shouldn't even be on the train"

I made a quick assessment and decided not to engage, and also remembered I was wearing my "POLITE" hi-viz. So I turned my back on him, fiddled with my bike, and loudly started humming Jupiter-the Bringer of Jollity, from Holst's Planets Suite.

Poor sod -imagine having such a crap life that you go around manufacturing conflict where there wasn't any before.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
just be glad you're not blighted with the outlook of a grumbler!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
You reacted exactly correctly. You would never win against such a bigot, and the only person you would wind up would be yourself. Just take consolation that you have a far wider mind than the pillock you describe, and you are surely fitter and more balanced. Some folk are put on this earth to irritate.

Tynan

Veteran
yuk yuk

that sounds like the fat man that furiuosly threw himself into my bike on the train back from a Whitstable fnrttc, determined to make sure the bike got into his way, despite my best efforts, I'm afriad my manners failed me at the last

I had an idiot like that on a Chingford train a few years back.Gave him problems at Hackney Downs though when he tried to get out the train with suitcases.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
This reminds me of the time when I used to commute with my heavy folder on the trains(not a nifty brompton!). There was this imbecile of a woman who in the peak rush hour train just as a passenger had gotten off and as I had picked up the heavy bike to move it into the corner where the passenger had stepped off and out the way of other people, moved into the path of the tyres. She then proceeded to have a rant about how my tyres were infringing on her trousers and that this was utterly disgusting, how my bike was getting in the way of her journey on the train and was unpleasant for others. At the best of times I was not a fan of being crammed on a train with the rush hour's finest recruits and proceeded to tell her that actually if she was not so impatient and had chosen to jump into the clear space where I was trying to put my bike so that it was out of the way of other passengers and I was not apologetic for her trouser dilemma and I said that she was the one being unpleasant and creating a fuss out nothing. She then said (and this was 10mins or so into the exchange)that I'm not allowed on trains with a bike. At this a suited businessman pipped and said actually she is allowed a bike at this time....she was quiet but sour for the rest of the journey and shifted aside later on so I was able to put the bike out the way.

Sorry for the grammar-lack of tired and still awake!

So TI you get all sorts out there- shame more people aren't considerate of others. You did well.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Bikes on trains attract every mal-adjusted loser going, try travelling on a London Midland cattle train at rush hour through Birmingham, not a happy experience.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I know where the cycle carriage doors stop at Upminster on the C2C so I can wait within a foot of them. I always let other people on first, but there is always someone who sits in one of the seats either end of the cycle space and then tuts and shuffles about when a bike gets near their leg/bag.
If you don't want to sit near a bike, don't sit near the cycle space. :smile:

jimboalee

My ex wife was correct when she said "Try to smile Jim, because you look menacing".

When I take my bike on a train, I sit in a seat near the the bike area and 'look menacing'.

The way to do this is take sunglasses off and stare round with eyes wide, shoulders tensed up and fists clenched with folded arms.

gary r

Guru
i was on the train with my bike just after they intoduced the new trains without the guards carriage,The bike space was 3 seats folded up. a girl on the busy train standing up with her boyfriend was egging him to tell me to move my bike so they could sit down (the train was packed by now so i couldnt move it) i was also standing up wearing full cycling clothing,he approached me and said
"is that your bike?"
my reply stopped him in his tracks
"no" i said
he sheepishly returned to his furious girlfiend whilst i tried to stifle my laughter!

Archie

Errrr.....
jimboalee said:
The way to do this is take sunglasses off and stare round with eyes wide, shoulders tensed up and fists clenched with folded arms.
:biggrin:

Jimbo, I love it that you can even get technical about looking like a nutter.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Who was it said the way to keep strangers out of 'your space' is to smile invitingly and pat the seat next to you?

Jezston

Über Member
gary r said:
my reply stopped him in his tracks
"no" i said
he sheepishly returned to his furious girlfiend whilst i tried to stifle my laughter!

I usually find it annoying when people reply to someone's post on a forum just to say 'LOL', but in this case I feel such a reply is deserved!

So, lol.

Top Bottom