Bent derailleur hanger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
Sorry to post again, different problem. I'm pretty sure my rear derailleur hanger is bent, as it looks very much like this

DAG03.jpg

That's not terribly good, but I'm no expert on bike fixing as yet, so what is the best thing to do (apart from LBS, which I would prefer as my last resort)

Thanks again,

JM

Monst

Looks a tad bent.

You'll have to go online and by another gear hanger - if it's replaceable. Take out the rear wheel and have a look. There will be some screws etc holding it in if its replaceable.

If its not replaceable take it to the lbs.

In both cases the repair will take about 10 minutes and cost about a tenner.

02GF74

Über Member
yep, it does appear to be.

but what makes you ask - have you recently bashed the rear end?

the swing arm looks like aluminium alloy so chances are the handler bolts onto the drop out with 2 bolts.

remove the hanger and straightern it in a vice - you are not supposed to straighten aluminium alloy but I have done it on much more bent ones than that.

worst case, it will fracture or break, in whcih case you need to fit a replacement as ^^^ says.

llllllll

As above, try and straighten it first. Mine was straightened out 2 or 3 years ago and is still going strong.

barq

Assuming that's an aluminium hanger, be aware that it won't like being bent. So you basically get one shot at straightening it out (don't start wiggling it to and fro and making small adjustments!). Unless you get lucky it will be a temporary fix until you get a replacement rear mech hanger (which will be specific to the manufacturer/model and cost about £12 - 15).

If it is steel, bending back is no problem, but a bike shop may do a better job of getting it spot on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ignore the fact that the cage bends in, the top of the mech should be parallel to the ground - long mech cages can 'bend inwards' but if your's looks like that from the rear then it's bent.

Be careful with alloy. I've bent steel in the past and it's fine to bend back - but I let an expert do it - don't forget there is horizontal (front/rear) alignment too, not just vertical.....

02GF74

Über Member
put a straight edge e.g. steel rule, over the hanger - you will see if, and by how much, it is bent.

As ^^^ say, aluminium alloy does not like being bent but it is not like yours is bent by 90 degre or so; if it was me, I wouldn;t worry about bending it back a couple of mm, whcih is what yours looks lkie it needs.

Have you dinged it though? if not, then why has it become bent?

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Thanks for the responses. When I checked again, it wasn't as bent as above, but still noticeably, and in a similar manner. Was going to LBS today anyway, and since I got the bike from there they adjusted it for free. Think he bent it too far the other way, but it is better than it was, and he made the required adjustments afterwards.

02: I am not sure at what point it became bent, I am not aware of having badly dropped the bike at any point, I'm usually very careful with it, but might have forgotten about doing so a while before I noticed it was bent. Not sure.

Thanks
JM :wacko:

Top Bottom