'Bent trike - Tadpole or Delta?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm getting closer to crossing over to the 'bent club soon..

I am fancying a trike but I've looked at 2 possibilities - the tadpole design just seems to "make sense" to my mind, visualising it.

Although I am temprted by the ones that I have seen in the delta configuration but with a conversion...meaning that should I eventually decide to go 2-wheeled on a 'bent I could do without too much outlay.

Opinions from either "club" welcomed....

I have never seen a machine that can be converted from trike to bike.

henshaw11

Only one I can think of would be if the 3 wheel conversion kit from raptobike makes it to production:
http://www.raptobike...log/raptotrike/ - see video

The nearest other things are trike conversion kits for uprights , and the Pashley PDQ (when they were in production) came in both 2 and 3 wheel variants which I think just swapped the front end to go between the two.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The best thing to do is to try both and then see which best fits your cycling needs.

A Tadpole can be lower down, suit conventional rear panniers, be shorter, have excellent front brakes, possibly sharper steering. However, can lose traction, may be difficult to rig for towing a trailer, can be awkward for some to sit in to (or rather to get out of).

A Delta is often higher up, require ingenuity to hang luggage behing the seat, is longer, can have two wheel drive (if you pay extra for a differential), can tow a trailer easily on a straight bar or a train of more delta trikes, possibly smaller turning circle. However, can have traction/steer issues if one wheel drive, have limited front wheel braking, front panniers can prevent steering and pedalling a the same time.

The Spezi exhibition has a KMX vs Kett Weisel race and the Ketts win and then pull wheelies. However, I would feel more stable bouncing down stairs in a Tadpole then a Kett or doing handbrake turns.

The tadpole should be more stable braking into a fast corner but having said that I have rolled a tadpole but not a delta (yet).

I opted for a tadpole. I could easily find good reason to go for a delta but only with a diff. I have tried both and found the Kett more then a little faster compared to my Ratrike.
My main decider was personal preference for 'go kart' steering and the conventional bike transmission to a single drive wheel. Also I am building a car sized tadpole as an electric vehicle so as to be more like a Morgan three wheeler then a motor bike trike.

henshaw11

They're not specifically designed with recumbents in mind - the one in that link

The frame was built by rainbow cycles and then a ken rogers conversion

looks like its one of the upright conversion kits I mentioned, ie

http://www.tricycleassociation.org.uk/RogersGallery.html

This Holdworth kit:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/trike-conversion-components.html
relies on being about to bolt the support struts to the seat tube pinch-bolt
- on looking at the ebay item, that's got similar struts which mount at the upper/rear of the seat to the frame.
Obviously needs a non-suspension rear end...

I must admit Rainbow's not one I'd heard one, but from here:
http://paul.kinlan.me/recumbent-cycles
it appears to be a Dutch manufacturer (that UK link's dead btw)
Ah...
http://www.rainbowligfietsen.nl/

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Take a look on BROL: lots of opinions there.
HTH

Yes, some helpful posts and threads, thanks

They're not specifically designed with recumbents in mind - the one in that link

The frame was built by rainbow cycles and then a ken rogers conversion

looks like its one of the upright conversion kits I mentioned, ie

Ah, that makes sense

I am liking the look (and price compared to other brands) of the catrike trail....shame I can't afford it just now, there's a nice looking pocket on eBay that although pink, would be a prime candidate for a repaint and should just fit me at 5'8"

I always carry panniers so the tadpole configuration makes more sense to me for me

Only concern is the low height in traffic, some have suggested the catrike and most tadpoles are just too low (compared to the height of a regular 'bent bike or a delta)

Rubbish, trikes are fine, I ride them a lot in traffic, flag is a good idea in slow moving traffic but in general drivers would rather go off the other side of the road than go anywhere near you.

henshaw11

Well, that tends to be the case for 'bents in general- but how do you find filtering on one ? - when I started looking at 'bents a long time ago I was hankering after a trike, but I came to conclusion that the height/width of a trike wouldn't be quite as practical as something vaguely driver head-height and a bit narrower (eg Hurricane or Speedmachine).

byegad

Legendary Member
See my signature.

I'm expecting delivery mid August and will post my impressions once I have a few miles on it. One difference between mine and the factory specification will be an MTB Crankset for getting me up some of our local 'big hills'.

Well, that tends to be the case for 'bents in general- but how do you find filtering on one ? - when I started looking at 'bents a long time ago I was hankering after a trike, but I came to conclusion that the height/width of a trike wouldn't be quite as practical as something vaguely driver head-height and a bit narrower (eg Hurricane or Speedmachine).

Filtering on a trike is no fun, you can do it sometimes but not always, but the ability to not have to unclip at junctions makes up for it.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
How awkward are bent trikes to push in "dismount" situations

Just for instance, if I had to leave it locked in the train station - cycling through the station is a no-no

Though TBH I'd use my upright mostly for any journeys like that due to locking issues not to mention the cost of the trike over a bike

byegad

Legendary Member
A Delta is pulled. Just pick up the front wheel and it follows you. A Tadpole is a more awkward beast to push as you can't steer from the back, so you pick up the back wheel and it follows behind you, not as simple as a Delta but it can be done!

Top Bottom