Best Budget Headlight (Dark Country Lanes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, i wonder if anyone could help me regarding the selection of a top budget headlight for riding my MTB through very dark country lanes (un-lit) late at night for commuting. I have read the other forums, but i would like to find out if you can still get a quality very bright set of headlights for say under £80.00, the cheaper the better. If it has to be over £80.00 please just be frank and i'll just have to dig deep. I'm on a budget at the moment, but things may be improving soon. My rear lights are all sorted (2x Smart 1/2 watt superflash), so its just the front. I appreciate you all taking the time to answer this thread. Thanks Taylor

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I use an older version of this and 8 miles of my commute are on dark unlit country lanes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Electron_5W_10W_Double_Lighting_System/5360025995/

Origamist

Legendary Member
Taylor said:
Hi, i wonder if anyone could help me regarding the selection of a top budget headlight for riding my MTB through very dark country lanes (un-lit) late at night for commuting. I have read the other forums, but i would like to find out if you can still get a quality very bright set of headlights for say under £80.00, the cheaper the better. If it has to be over £80.00 please just be frank and i'll just have to dig deep. I'm on a budget at the moment, but things may be improving soon. My rear lights are all sorted (2x Smart 1/2 watt superflash), so its just the front. I appreciate you all taking the time to answer this thread. Thanks Taylor

A bit out of your price range, but...

I went for the Brightstar Levin 12w HID. It is very good value (£130 or so quid from Ebay), with a powerful blue/white beam, good battery life, and simple, if a little bulky fixtures.

http://www.brightstar.com.tw/product_info_e.php?UID=773

Its 550 lumens are very impressive off-road. I don't use it for commuting (I have a Cat Eye Triple Shot for that) - but for unlit country lanes it would be great.

I have some Smart halogen 10w with rechargeable lead acid battery complete with charger for £35 at the moment, I have about 5 of them. All brand new and boxed.

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I see your youtube video came with the mandatory heavy breathing :biggrin:

It wouldn't be a proper test without it :smile:

spindrift

Yeah, i copied your link magna, that's a beauty but may confuse yokels.

If you sit upstairs in The Red Lion, Holborn, you see virtual mobile discos as lit-up cyclists pedal past.

spindrift said:
Yeah, i copied your link magna, that's a beauty but may confuse yokels.

If you sit upstairs in The Red Lion, Holborn, you see virtual mobile discos as lit-up cyclists pedal past.

I suppose you did add some value with the comment about Wales...:biggrin:

twowheelsgood

If you are a bit DIY adept a 20W philips masterline ES bulb run at 14.4V (12 NiMH cells)

Around 900 lumens can be done for £50 with 1hr45min burn time.

I've run a 35W version for near 3 years - it's about a match for a single car headlight on "dip".

mikeitup

Veteran
lights!

I had the same problem. A lot of dark country lanes.
Bought the AYUP Roadie kit £150.
No regrets, absolutely fantastic light.

Top Bottom