Best degreaser for chain cleaning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petmcgratt

Could somebody recommend a good degreaser for my chain. I bought the Barbieri (i think that is how it is spelt) and have used the little amount that came with the device. Is there any household dgreasers that can be used as a substitute or do you have to go and buy a branded product.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan M

Hi Pet, if you look back at the forum you'll see that there is a lot of discussion regarding chain cleaning, and many of us rely on what is commonly called the Mickle method.

In short this doesn't use a chain cleaner device, and doesn't aim to get a chain "spotless", as the theory is that over-zealous cleaning will remove the chain grease and lube that sits between the roller & the pin - this will allow more dirt in and cause the chain to wear much faster than desirable.

The Mickle method relies on using a cloth, something such as WD40 or GT84, and you just keep on passing the chain through the cloth sprayed with the WD40, repeat as many times as needed then spin the chain through a dry cloth.

Once you've done that apply whatever chain lube you need.

OP
OP
P

petmcgratt

Thanks Johnathan.
found those threads after I had posted my query. There seems to be mixed opinion but your advice sounds about right. I've just bought a road racing bike and want to maintain it as best I can compared to my mountain bike that was used and abused too many times!!

peter

Mr Pig

Chain cleaning machines are a waste of time. You're better fitting a quick link and removing the chain for cleaning. As for degreaser, white spirit is as good as anything.

Dave5N

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
Chain cleaning machines are a waste of time. You're better fitting a quick link and removing the chain for cleaning. As for degreaser, white spirit is as good as anything.

Nonsense. Chain cleaners work much better than soaking. And steel on steel wear is much worse than minimal wear from grit.

jimboalee

Mickle method. Never wash the internal factory fitted lube out.

If the bike is an off-roader and the chain gets covered in mud and slurry, that's 'par for the course' so new chains will be frequent.

After the Mickle method, a spray with a silicone furniture polish gives a bit of water proofing.

Garz

Squat Member
Mr Pig said:

Nonsense +2.

I luckily have a cycle mechanic living four doors away and asked him this a few weeks back. He recommended them with his down to earth lowdown and in fact had the opposite advice. Whilst people prefer their own methods it boils down to how you use the kit. To say they are a waste of time is both harsh and defeating the purpose of using one.

Mr Pig

I've got one in the shed if you want to buy it? It was such a hassle to fit to the chain, fluid dripping al over the place and patchy results. Taking the chain off and shaking it around in an old paint tray of white spirit is faster, easier and does a better job. Without buying a daft machine.

LazyLoki

The method of running the chain through a cloth does work pretty well rather than WD40/GT85 something like the Finish Line Citrus Degreaser is far more effective at removing chain gunk. It's great stuff, a bit pricy but the filth just melts off before your eyes. Its also good for cleaning white bar tape/grips and saddles.

Also, as we cyclists are supposed to be an environmentally aware bunch, the finish line stuff is non-toxic and much better than nasty white spirits. It comes in a liquid and aerosol version, but the latter is a bit messy for chain cleaning. Good for spraying into rear mechs and stuff though to clean them out without removing from the frame.

Top Bottom