Best Energy Drink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Woody0301

Regular
Been riding for about 1 year now about 80 miles a week. I am watching what I eat already but, what is a good energy drink or other source just before riding that will give noticeable energy for the ride and may also promote some muscle growth?

Aiden_23

You dont want to think about muscle development if you are hitting 80 miles a week just think about getting electrolytes and water into you!!!!!
4 cups hot water
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp honey
¼ tsp of salt
Chilll.Homemade stuff!!! If you are looking for a recovery drink 2 scoops Whey Protein mixed with Milk. You wont bulk up through cycling(you will need to pound the weights with little Cardio) but Cycling does make you God like!!!

musa

Über Member
if you want bulk youll need to enter the gym theres a nice workout plan i do i can recommend....squats are your answer

drinks: water and/or milk

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Milk - a nice ice cold glass of semi- skimmed milk with a bit of cocoa powder

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can hardly bring myself to respond, but, COLD CHOCOLATE??!!

That just isn't right I tells you, not right at all.......

Besides, some of us have sensitive teeth, so the idea of 'Ice Cold' milk is just wrong in the first place, and anyway, all it will do is make you cold too! Not conducive to those long runs in the middle of nowhere!

RESIST AT ALL COSTS!!
*Wanders off mumbling under his breath*.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Been riding for about 1 year now about 80 miles a week. I am watching what I eat already but, what is a good energy drink or other source just before riding that will give noticeable energy for the ride and may also promote some muscle growth?

It all depends upon how long your rides are. Eighty miles per week could be seven rides of twelve miles or so in which case there's no need for energy drinks as your glycogen stores should see you through.

Even with longer rides, the pace at which you ride will affect your energy needs. If it's two forty milers then a litre of energy drink per ride should see you through. There's a range of proprietary mixes that you could buy or you could try a home made combo - 50 -50 mix of fruit juice and water has been recommended in the past though there's counter claims that the fructose is not metabolised until it reaches the small intestine and absorbed so there's a delay before the energy is released.

For thighs like Chris Hoy you will have do do extensive gym work. Cycling alone will not do much for bulking your muscles.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Energy drinks aren't designed to give you a kick,they are designed to quickly replace glycogen which pre-ride with a decent diet,should be pretty full. They don't promote muscle growth you need a gym for that.

Try porridge and sip energy drink throughout the ride.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I can hardly bring myself to respond, but, COLD CHOCOLATE??!!

That just isn't right I tells you, not right at all.......

Besides, some of us have sensitive teeth, so the idea of 'Ice Cold' milk is just wrong in the first place, and anyway, all it will do is make you cold too! Not conducive to those long runs in the middle of nowhere!

RESIST AT ALL COSTS!!
*Wanders off mumbling under his breath*.
yes its called a milkshake - never drunk a hot milkshake - have you???

Dan_h

I believe that the best drink is a decent ale while sitting in the beer garden of the pub you have just ridden to (or if you are not riding to a pub then any pub that you are passing or is being used as a control if you are on an audax will do just as well)!

Top Bottom