Best Hip-Hop Album?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

There is no 'best' hiphop album. At the moment I am enjoying Mach 6 by MC Solaar, but it's not the best one by any stretch. Pretty fun though.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Oh, dear, I do apologize, you're perfectly right - there is no 'best' of course - I meant, what's your 'favourite'!

If you're listening to MC Solaar, Sam, you could also check out the soundtrack to 'La Haine', which is pretty good, esp. IMHO, the track 'Requiem'

SamNichols

I haven't seen La Haine as yet, but it's coming through the post in a couple of days. I love Sofa Cinema and the fact that it sends me lots of films to 'critique'. French Hiphop is my thing at the moment, purely because it managed to largely steer clear of all that 'it's all about the benjamins' bollox that marrs mainstream hiphop.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

I know what you mean...there's also something liberating about listening to rap in a language you don't comprehend fully - a mate gave me a CD of Polish hip-hop by a group called Felt Danl (I'm sure it means something profound in Polish) which was ace!

However, listening to one of the Wu-Tang, GZA,'s album 'Liquid Swords' at the moment, and the beats are fantastic.

Big Bren

What passes for hip-hop thesedays passes me by, and rightly so; it's not aimed at me and I don't want it to be.

BUT, back in the heady days of 1988(?) Public Enemy - 'It Takes a Nation of Millions...'

Predictable maybe, but at the time, incendiary stuff.

Ménélik might be worth a listen Melvil... I had a phase of listening to his stuff in the late nineties - (I think :sad:) MC Solaar worked with him I believe. Can't remember the name of the album though... I'll look later!

'La Haine' is once again topical - Paris is upset again... ;)

Best Hip Hop?
Dr Singh on my Nan :sad:
You can hardly tell

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Grandmaster Flash: The Message.
Gary Byrd and the GB Experience: The Crown.
Sugar Hill Gang: Rappers Delight
(showing my age here)

....very very occasionally I hear summat hippety hoppety I like, but seldom these days, and can't get into the french stuff that was mentioned a week or so ago.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Big Bren said:
BUT, back in the heady days of 1988(?) Public Enemy - 'It Takes a Nation of Millions...'

Oh yeah.

I reckon "Fear of a Black Planet" is the better album, but "Nation of Millions" changed everything...

Top Bottom