Best job you nearly had

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(within in the realms of reality, that is) :smile:

Almost got a job as a ski guide in France 23 years ago. Was offered it, but the boss was a prize tosser!:biggrin:

Almost got a job with a mate looking after a lodge for a Heli-Ski company in Whistler in Canada. We were told we didin't need work-permits. We did! :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
I almost became US President but then I woke up.

yello

The words 'best' and 'job' are not ones that go together for me. They are (at best!) a tolerable means to an end. To decide a best job is akin to grading shoot - no pun intended.

I almost became an astronaut, but I wasn't good enough at science, maths was average, I couldn't fly an aeroplane and I got sick on fairground rides. And I wasn't born in the USA. Otherwise, I was perfect for the job.

[Sorry OP, not within the realms or reality now - but when I was 8 years old, anything seemed possible!]

ChrisKH

Guru
I got offered a plum worldwide travelling job eight years ago just prior to having surgery. I had to come clean and tell them I was having surgery and would be out of action for six months to a year. Surprisingly, they offered to hold it open. A month in to my recuperation they offered it to someone else (friend of a friend) and I rang my then manager up, who was American, and blasted him down the phone saying there was an implied contract, etc. etc. Anyhow I calmed down eventually and ended up reporting to this guy.

Two years later, post-merger, they made him redundant and at 56 he was unlikely to see another job for a while. I did feel sorry for him, even though he had got what I wanted initially.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
mr Mag00 said:
ppl arent taking this seriously :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm just trying to make their mundane lives a little more interesting! :smile::biggrin:

OK - with apols for my astronaut post...

I applied for a job with a software company, but my experience in one area was too great and in another was too shallow. Would have been nice to get in 'at the start', as the area seems to have grown in recent years.

Chicken sexer.

Seriously! I had an interview and spent an afternoon actually doing the job. Very good money and I (apparently) had a natural gift for it. Didn't take the job in the end because I didn't think I could face it and I'd have ended up running a sanctuary for all of the disabled chickens with cronky wings and legs (they gas them and use 'em for pet food). Plus the bloke doing the interviews actually looked like a chicken.

PrettyboyTim

The first proper job interview I ever had was for the position of a games programmer at The Digital Village, the multimedia company created by Douglas Adams. I really, really wanted the job - it would have been to work on 'Starship Titanic'. I met Douglas Adams during the interview but unfortunately the job went to someone else with more experience.

Top Bottom