Best month to do LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm planning a trip in the future - due to being an academic the only real months I can do it in are May and August.

Is there a best one of these? It'd be May 2013 rather than 2012 but August 2012 is a possibility.

goody

Veteran
Don't think it makes much difference I did it in August and had torrential rain and high winds for half of it. If you are ready for the trip next August just go for it.

snorri

Legendary Member
I would go for May.
It's nearer to mid-summer so longer daylight.
Further from peak tourist season so fewer car tourists on the road and less pressure on available accommodation.
Met office climate records indicate drier weather with more hours of sunshine in May with lower average maximum temperatures.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks for the ideas. May next year is out - I'm doing the Coast-to-Coast in March/April and can't organise another ride so soon after. So, thoughts will turn to May 2013.

Rebel Ian

Why not just move it to July or August 2012 instead? The weather is unpredictable so don't pick a month based on that. We did ours this July and got totally soaked every day for a week but then sunburnt the other 4 days!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I'd like July/August next year but I'm:

- off to watch Beach Volleyball at the Olympics (July) and can't get time off before that. Beach Volleyball was the kid's choice, honest
- 1st half of August I'm away in France for 2 weeks.

Looking at it, I'm struggling to get the time in next August, so I'll do a 2nd coast-to-coast - but the one from Southport to Hornsea in the latter half of August. May 2013'll have to be the LEJOG.

RoyW

Regular
Hi

Have to agree with Snorri. May would certainly be better for daylight and finding afordable accommodation. If you want to ride a lot of hours a day this can be important. If not then maybe it doesn't matter so much.

August is statistically likely to have better weather. But I guess that depends on what conditions you like to ride in. If you like it warm August is more likely to be so, although I agree that you do have to just take what you get - lets face it we've just had the warmest part of the year in October!

There are lots of things to think about other that the time of year to go of course. Blatant self promotion but I have a website designed to help out first time end to enders which helps to guide you through all the things you might need to consider from getting to the start line, nutrition, what to take with you, training, creating your own personalised route and how to trun it into a GPX file and a whole lot more. If you what to check it out (its all free so nothing to lose;¬) ) the site is www.landsend-to-johnogroats.co.uk.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks - I'll have a good look when planning starts.

The other thing I'll be doing is to go East of the Pennines :wacko:

Odd I know, but it'll mean I can call in at home part-way (washing/bath/wife/kids/etc) :biggrin:

RoyW

Regular
There's an East of Pennines site that comes up high on a search for 'lands end to john o groats'. Haven't looked at it but it might be useful.

I'm planning a JOGLE with extras (furthest northerly, easterly, southerly and westerly point in mainland UK - not in that order!) for next year and hope to spend my last nights stop at home too. But part of me thinks it might be very hard to get going again in the morning!

Riding a Scott Carbon CR1
A wise man once said that people who make quotes have too much time on their hands

Gingerbloke

Did it last May and it worked out perfectly, bit windy the first couple of days in Cornwall and Devon, then one rainy day in Scotland. Perfect temperature and plenty of daylight too.

Top Bottom