1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Rear Bike Lights?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by spen666, 20 Sep 2007.

1. spen666

spen666 Guru

Any suggestions for good rear light(s) and where to buy your recommendations from.

Want to make sure dozy motorists can't be believed when they say they did not see me

2. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

A relatively cheap option is a Smart Superflash 1/2 watt LED. Impossible for drivers to miss!

3. The Topeak UFO is a good un. Vistalite used to make some great lamps but appear to have lost some market share recently- not so easy to find. Cateye have great build quality. Smart are cheap and cheerful but seem to last ok.

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

I've got the Smart 7 led light (not sure of name/model) if a driver can't see that, they must be blind.

5. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Cateye LD1100 is a good compromise between price and blinding potential. £30 for eight rear LED's (two rows of four with separate switches) plus two on either side for side-on visibility - very pleased with mine and I believe it's even brighter if you don't use rechargeable batteries (not fussed about that myself). After that you are looking at well over £50 for the posh Dinotte et al lights.

6. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

I have used, and still do, the Cat eye TL LD600 - which cost circa £15 or less. I tend to use more than one of these lights.

I'd love the dinotte one, but think quantity may be better ie 2-3 lights at different heightrs on bike as opposed to one

any comments?

PS thanks all who have made suggestions- am looking at those as I type this

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

8. Seconded for value for money/effectiveness the Smart Superflash is great

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

MP, what is the duty threshold as she seems to have some (cheaper) good kit on her site.

10. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I have two Cateyes, an LD600 and an LD1000, on the back of the bent. Pretty bright, IMO. Oh, and the flat back of the tailbox has 3M diamond grade red reflective tape. It doesn't look anything like a bike at night now.

11. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Oh, and I'll second Mr Paul's geargurl recommendation. They're fast and cheap, A+++++

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

About 20 quid.

Anything above that and you might as well toss a coin as to whether the customs people decide to pick it off the conveyor and charge you. Of course if they don't you're supposed to declare it anyway.

13. Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

Actually it is £36 but it needs to be declared as a gift otherwise you risk a £10 bill for presenting the parcel to customs + duty + VAT on top of that

Rick

14. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

15. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Another Smart Superflash vote here. Best rear light I've ever seen, and I've seen/got a few. Mind you, a light mounted higher up (backpack, headband etc) works wonders too.