Best thing on TV at the moment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
It is truly brilliant. Watched nearly all of first series on the bbc 2 reruns (even though i had dvd of series) then missed last few only to find out that my DVD has a duplicate in therefore doesnt actually have last couple of episodes.

Am planning to buy the entire boxset and do a weekend of it.

The same writer or director has done a short series based on the US military , thats supposed to be good also.

I would say though that do like monday, monday on ITV ( i do work for ITV btw, but dont normally watch it, especially comedy)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Haven't seen the prog CoG - but if you want the definitive version of 'Gilded Splinters' get Ton-Ton Macoutei (1970) by Johnny Jenkins, it's a massive slab of swamp blues with Duane Allman doing the honours on guitar - what more could you want. The cover is a piece of work too.....;)

Johnny+Jenkins-+Ton-Ton+Macoute.jpg

Wolf04

User1314 said:
The Wire.

Really got into this, rather late I guess. Superbly crafted as drama - script, acting, pacing etc - but what has really clinched it for me is the music. My god those makers have got taste - exactly the same as mine.

Three recent musical highlights from the series:

1. The Pogues' Body of an American (one of my fave songs by the band who remain an obsession) playing on the juke-box of an Irish American pub as a big, black cop heaves his guts outside.

2. Paul Weller's I walk on Gilded Splinters rumbling sixties funk-rock like at the end of last night's episode. Funky and moving.

3. Again from last night. A homeless bum consoling another tearful homeless bum last night. Thought I recognised the first homeless bum. Long greying, unkempt bushy beard. Puffy podgy face. Long greasy hair with comb-over. Another one of my faves! Yes. It was Steve Earle! And playing in character. Looking exactly the way he looked when I last saw him in concert.

Completely agree brilliant. Steve Earle does the theme tune for the final season starting on Thursday and is also featured acting in the series.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you mean Generation Kill, then yes it was bloody excellent

karlos_the_jackal said:
The same writer or director has done a short series based on the US military , thats supposed to be good also.

I

nilling

Über Member
The Wire on DVD - missed it first time rounf on FXUK but decided to get Season 1 on DVD. Was not dissappointed and quickly got the rest of the series as well - top show!

Watched Generation X on FXUK but didn't get hooked.

redjedi

Über Member
I've only just started watching The Wire, and it is great.

I'm watching 2-3 a night at the moment, currently on Season 2

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I haven't been watching it. I've heard it's so good, I don't want to risk starting to watch them and then having to miss episodes.

Top Bottom