Bib shorts advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidg

I am looking to buy some good quality bib shorts. I plan to do a couple of hilly 100 milers (inc Fred) and need to build up to it.

I have a road bike with an okay saddle (FSA), but want to invest in better shorts. I have some cheaper ones which are okay.

I ordered some of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/le-carbon-bib-short-ec019467
but didnt like the fact that the waist is so low cut (I prefer a higher one, I have realised!). Also I know nothing about inserts...

Does anyone have any advice on how to decide, what to look for that sort of thing, or any website to help?

I dont have a budget, but figured £70 was enough...if more is worth it then I will spend it but given the unknown quantity...

cheers!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have a couple of pairs of Giordana Tenax bib shorts which are the most comfy I've come across and should easily be inside your budget. They also do a model slightly more upmarket which ae also excellent. Trythem on first though as Italian sizing seems different to others.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Always worth a look is Prendas:-

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

as far as I can work out this is the cycling equivalent of selling off last seasons, or older, football kits. You certainly seem to get decent quality for as little as 40% of equivalent plain kit. They give good sizing info and are very amenable to helping you further by phone or e-mail, especially re inserts etc. I bought my first pair of bib shorts from them last year and now have 5 sets, plus they cater to the 'fuller' figure. For all I know I'm toddling around in the cycling version of Scunthorpe Uniteds 1995 away team kit.....but I couldn't care less:biggrin:

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

MacB said:
Always worth a look is Prendas:-

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

as far as I can work out this is the cycling equivalent of selling off last seasons, or older, football kits. You certainly seem to get decent quality for as little as 40% of equivalent plain kit. They give good sizing info and are very amenable to helping you further by phone or e-mail, especially re inserts etc. I bought my first pair of bib shorts from them last year and now have 5 sets, plus they cater to the 'fuller' figure. For all I know I'm toddling around in the cycling version of Scunthorpe Uniteds 1995 away team kit.....but I couldn't care less:biggrin:

I have bought jerseys from them...

which shorts have you bought/would you recommend from them?
In black - Top, carbon, slice?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
davidg said:
I have bought jerseys from them...

which shorts have you bought/would you recommend from them?
In black - Top, carbon, slice?

Two are retro style Nalini not sure of type of insert, these seem cut lower and I wouldn't rate the insert as highly as the others...but they were £20 each. The other 3 are Santini with coolmax and these inserts are the comfiest. They also have a higher front and the straps, top bit are mesh. I paid £40ish for them, just depends what they have in, in the size you want and how much you want to spend.

Currently I like the look of the 'Top' version at £45 though I don't know re the insert. I also rather like the look of the Santini Carbon but £95 is a lot. What's available is different to when I last looked and I'm no expert on inserts. I'd give them a ring and have a chat personally....good luck....Al

Top Bottom