Bib tights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

It's that time of year again when my mother starts asking me for Christmas present suggestions.....
I could do with a pair of bib tights so might see if parents and brother want to chip in together and purchase me some.
I'm au fait with bib shorts, having gotten a pair in the summer, but.... do bib tights come in different 'thicknesses'? I mean, are there some which are thicker for winter wear, and thinner for summer? I'm guessing so, as my bibshorts are quite thin compared to other shorts I have, or is that just cos they're made by different companies?
Do you good people wear anything under/over bibtights in the winter? Just thinking of the cold on my nether regions.....

So, bearing in mind i would like to use these bib tights for winter and into the spring (when i will then be back into shorts as quickly as possible), can anyone recommend a decent pair that would do for winter weather and aren't horrendously expensive?

Enw.nigel

You could look at the selection of dhb tights on http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=dhb+bib tights. dhb have a reputation for being value for money and I have bought their shorts and jerseys and have not been disappointed yet.
I have now bought the padded roubaix pair ready for winter. The roubaix are warmer than the ordinary bib tights and I will not be wearing anything underneath as this could conflict with the padding.
Last winter I was using bib tights without the padding but wearing padded undershorts with them.

2pies

Veteran
You could look at the selection of dhb tights on http://www.wiggle.co...hb+bib%20tights. dhb have a reputation for being value for money and I have bought their shorts and jerseys and have not been disappointed yet.
I have now bought the padded roubaix pair ready for winter. The roubaix are warmer than the ordinary bib tights and I will not be wearing anything underneath as this could conflict with the padding.
Last winter I was using bib tights without the padding but wearing padded undershorts with them.

This has answered a question that I was going to ask. As I have 5 pairs of padded undershorts I don't want to splash out on numerous pairs of bib tights.

Would I need the SuperRoubaix or just Roubaix for winter commutes in London? Are the cheaper ones waterproof?

Enw.nigel

This has answered a question that I was going to ask. As I have 5 pairs of padded undershorts I don't want to splash out on numerous pairs of bib tights.

Would I need the SuperRoubaix or just Roubaix for winter commutes in London? Are the cheaper ones waterproof?

I can't help you as far as being waterproof as I try not to cycle when it is raining. As far as warmth goes I have not tried out the dhb bib tights yet as it has not been cold enough. Last year I found my De Marchi bib tights warm enough on their own in temps of -2C. (plus top layers of course). The quality is similar to the dhb roubaix as well.
I would say that the roubaix would be sufficient for London commutes but the temp. at when you begin to feel the cold can be a personal thing.
Try reading the customer reviews on both the roubaix and super roubaix. There is one user that states he found the super roubaix waterproof.
Hope this helps.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I use the roubaix bib rights with padded shorts underneath during the winter period. Warm enough for me and I'm not a fan of the cold!

PeteT

The other alternative is some leg warmers, either on their own or under 'standard' tights - I picked up a pair of toasty, fleecy Enduras at my LBS a couple of weeks ago for £12.95.

albion

Guru
I've used my bib tights a couple of times now. I'd never used padded shorts or tights and have come to the conclusion that they are in fact more uncomfortable.

One gets acclimatised to the saddle finding ones own comfortable position. The stupid padding makes the process more difficult whilst reducing breath-ability dramatically.

So maybe I'll use them when its both cold and damp though my pair of M & S merino long johns seem far more useful.

mattsccm

Disregarding those who don't use padding ( each to their own), don't write off padded bibs. By themselves they are less warm,( depending on those you chose) than shorts and tights. Together they add an extra layer to the padding and the body which can be nice in the cld. Warm balls etc.

To be honest there is little disadvantage and some benefits.

The issue of comfort is irrelevant as we are all different.
I use both versions, the unpadded ones over shorts for getting wet and muddy as I just wash the shorts and bang the outers against the wall.

Alexvs

I've just ordered a pair of Altura Night Vision bib tights, hopefully they'll be decent enough. Will hopefully have them by the end of the week so I'll be able to feedback on them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've just ordered a pair of Altura Night Vision bib tights, hopefully they'll be decent enough. Will hopefully have them by the end of the week so I'll be able to feedback on them.

I have had a pair for a couple of years now, done 1000's of miles in them. Cracking tights. Very comfy. Very bright in the lights too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a slight issue with padded shorts and my roubaix tights over the top. They tend to make you slip around in the saddle slightly more because the tights seems to slip aginst the lycra of the shorts. Anyone got any suggestions?

Alexvs

I have had a pair for a couple of years now, done 1000's of miles in them. Cracking tights. Very comfy. Very bright in the lights too.

Just what I wanted to hear :thumbsup:

I should have them today as they're now out for delivery. Great service and price from Rat Race as got them for £39.99 inc postage which is the best price I could find online seeing as some places wanted £69.99. They only had small in stock when I bought though which is good as that's my size :biggrin:

DaveP

I have a slight issue with padded shorts and my roubaix tights over the top. They tend to make you slip around in the saddle slightly more because the tights seems to slip aginst the lycra of the shorts. Anyone got any suggestions?

Had the same problem, all I done was swap them around so that the tights went on first then put the shorts over the top, you dont get any awards for style but I never had any in the first place :whistle:

Top Bottom