Big Feet? - pannier and feet collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

I did my 2nd commute today and used my flash girly basil pannier rather than the big DHB ones (light load day). To be honest it was a pain because my feet and pannier collide while pedaling so I had to adopt a new style of foot control! Actually there is a problem with the DHB ones too but because the clips are stronger I can move it down the rack a little more and secure it firmly with one clip and loosely with the other. I have size 41 feet so not huge but it's a nuisance. Do the racks vary as to where the joints are and thus where you can clip the things - ie. if I changed the rack would it fit the panniers better? It's very annoying?

domtyler

Über Member
My rack is adjustable and also the panniers are adjustable so I don't get this problem. Are you completely sure that you cannot adjust anything in your set up?

OP
OP
W

Willow

Rack non adjustable and basil bag non adjustable but other panniers may be. Sounds like a new rack may be the answer if you can get adjustable ones.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have the same problem with my size 41/42 feet and hitting the bag... I think I've got used to it a bit, and fiddled around with the panniers as best I could. Bought Ortlieb panniers in the summer and they are better as they can be adjusted a lot - but I think its my rack is the problem. So I guess I am agreeing with you that it is the rack but I've not replaced my rack to see if I could get a better fit. (Not much help was I :tongue:) Let me know if you do replace the rack and find it solves the problem.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Willow said:
Rack non adjustable and basil bag non adjustable but other panniers may be. Sounds like a new rack may be the answer if you can get adjustable ones.

Either that, or amputate your toes. Your choice...

Plax

Guru
Maybe it is the rack - I have size 42 shoes and have no problems with my feet hitting the panniers.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Got home and discovered the DHB panniers are adjustable. so will use those for works and the pretty one which doesn't fit so well for trips shops - to be fair I did fix that one on better on the way home but it is not so secure and actually does not hold a lot ie. once my waterproof and change of clothes is in not much room for much else.

Would not have thought to see if clips were adjustable so thanks for the tip.

grhm

Veteran
I used to have a problem with occassionally knocking my panniers on my old bike. My new gike has a different rack and the same panniers now sit several inches clear.

I'd suggest a new rack might be in order.

Top Bottom